Chevy Volt: The Misconceptions (various genrl *EV discussns) - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chevy Volt: The Misconceptions (various genrl *EV discussns)

Chevy Volt: The Misconceptions (various general *EV discussions)
Published on Apr 14, 2012 by AutolineDetroit

Quote:
It won nearly every serious automotive award and had a huge carbon-free footprint of positive reviews from critics and consumers alike. So if that's the case, why is the Volt GM's slowest selling product? More than that, why does there seem to be such a negative charge to the car? People across the country who have never even seen a Volt let alone driven this engineering marvel have nothing good to say about it, confounding both auto analysts and company executives

On Autoline This Week John McElroy and his panel look at the strange state of GM's engineering masterpiece the Volt. Joining John on the panel are Joe White of the Wall Street Journal, Manny Lopez from the Michigan Capitol Confidential and Gary Witzenburg an auto journalist and former engineer on GM's original electric project, the EV1.
Long (26:50) but quite good.

Youtube: The Chevy Volt Controversy - Autoline This Week #1616 - YouTube!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=cYmaxaCtJ-c#[/youtube]
scottf200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Chevy Volt: The Misconceptions (various genrl *EV discus

To quote the end of the video. "I bought my first cell phone when it was 1500 bucks now its 30 bucks, people are unwilling to be a beta tester on a first release of new technology." I also bought my first cell phone when it was the size of shoe box, weighted about 8 pounds and you had to mount an antenna on the side of the vehicle. (I don't remember it being 1500 bucks, but it was not cheap.)

With the exception of the right wing nutjob, they made lots of good statements about the problem with electric car sales. Most of what the intelligent analysts said on this video was that it is a battery problem - cost, range, weight and charging time. It is not a given that battery technology will increase rapidly enough to justify these cars at this point.

I do believe the EV is part of the variety of automobiles that will make up our future automobile culture. I am hopeful the technology will evolve fast enough that more of the population will decide it is right for them. But, it might be, we have a GM EV-1 problem which may not fly over the long run. The good news is I am buying my "EV-1" (Ford Focus), so they cannot take it back and destroy it this time.
dwf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Chevy Volt: The Misconceptions (various genrl *EV discus

What is it about Ev's having carbon footprints anyway? I don't see anything wrong with cars driven with electrical power. I just thought of good things it can do to owners since they will no longer have to driver their cars to gasoline stations and have its tank filled up.