Utility Issues Fire Warning to EV owners - Ford Focus Electric Forum
» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Utility Issues Fire Warning to EV owners

A Chevy Volt has been involved in a second house fire. There is no evidence yet that the Volt or its EVSE was the cause, but the fire did start near the charging station, according to this report from firehouse.com.

An article at the National Legal and Policy Center was even more critical.

It is not clear if the owner was using a 120v unit or 240v unit.

Some of the early 120v units have had overheating issues as reported by Cars.com in this article.

Obviously the charging of EVs needs to be safe, and the unattended nature of charging means that a problem can develop unsupervised and do extensive damage. That said it is interesting how much attention has been given to the two fires involving Volts, given that the number of motor vehicle fires numbers in the hundreds of thousands.
Marc Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Utility Issues Fire Warning to EV owners

This article reports that it was a 240v charger.
Marc Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Lee
Wow. Did you read any other articles on this site? Complete Fascist Conservative clap trap. These guys definitely have an axe to grind when it comes to EV's as they are "patently dangerous" and "a true threat to personal safety". The Connecticut fire was completely unrelated to the Volt charging as reported BY THE LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENT, but they don't mention this, instead they make it sound like Government Motors, er GM, covered it up and are implying that the same will happen in NC. As stated in both local TV articles online, the local fire department is leading the investigation and Duke Energy, Siemens, & GM are helping. This is common in such investigations, for instance whenever there is a plane crash the manufacturer of the airplane routinely assists the FAA in their investigation.

In three other articles I sampled on their site they had their facts wrong or skewed more then half the time and nice generalizations like Coke "supports false testimony on global warming perpetration of the myth about endangered polar bears" then cites studies that polar bear population is increasing. Well it is, but only because there has been a ban on hunting them for 60yrs, and the increase has only been where they share habitat with humans as they move further south (but they skip that part of the Canadian study).

This is just a conspiracy theory rag looking for liberal fish to fry, especially when it comes to EVs, unfortunately its the kind of misinformation that people like my Dad buy hook, line, and sinker. This kind of FUD will continue to set EV's back for years to come...
FocusSkeptic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusSkeptic
Quote:
Wow. Did you read any other articles on this site? Complete Fascist Conservative clap trap.
Please find another site for any further biased political rants.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKalkas
Quote:
Quote:
Wow. Did you read any other articles on this site? Complete Fascist Conservative clap trap.
FocusSkeptic is right the NLPC is a right wing hack agency. I put it out there because I figure Fox News will be picking up on it.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

[quote="Charged Up"]
Wow. Did you read any other articles on this site? Complete Fascist Conservative clap trap. quot

FocusSkeptic is right the NLPC is a right wing hack agency. I put it out there because I figure Fox News will be picking up on it.quot

The hundreds of times I read Lyle's reports on the Volt site (I was #61 on the Volt sign up list of over 40,000), he never pit the left against the right. Lets keep politics off this site.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
The hundreds of times I read Lyle's reports on the Volt site (I was #61 on the Volt sign up list of over 40,000), he never pit the left against the right. Lets keep politics off this site.
Point taken. Clearly my facetious summary of Mr. Modica's content has clouded the intended message.

Whether he is liberal or conservative, it is clap trap as his facts are wrong or, at the very least, seriously skewed. The same can be said for recent PG&E statements in CA claiming that EV charging consumes "as much electricity as three households" (certainly the charger in the FFE will bring that statement closer to fact, but it is still off by at least one house and more likely two houses). Unfortunately few take the time to check what is being spouted on-line or even on mainstream media (e.g. Cavuto on FOX news), so people like him are being taken seriously which will continue to set EVs back unless the statements are countered and/or reported by more reputable media.

BTW - I am a conservative by most standards, but I did recently change my registration to Independent b/c I think my long time party has lost sight of its original goals for governing. So while I may think that gives me the right to call a spade a spade, GKalkas is correct that I should keep political sideshows out of it so that we can focus on the goals of the forum.

SINCEREST APOLOGY to all!
FocusSkeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:

...recent PG&E statements in CA claiming that EV charging consumes "as much electricity as three households" (certainly the charger in the FFE will bring that statement closer to fact,
FocusSkeptic, in Chicago, I signed up for "variable rate billing" which ComEd offers. So, pluging-in at night, I'm paying about 2.5 to 3 cents per kwh because the utility is generating electricity than it can't sell. As a result, I'm going 20 to 25 miles for about 15 cents