Edmunds - This Fork Is A Terrible Spoon - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Edmunds - This Fork Is A Terrible Spoon

Another classic Edmund's illogical review of the Volt. In this post our intrepid reviewer reports that he did not charge the car because he lives "in an old apartment building with no outdoor outlets and bad wiring to boot, so plugging in wasn't convenient." I would think that the market for Volts amongst people who have no access to charging would be somewhere south of one. Who would lay out $40k for this car, whose express purpose is to be plugged in, if they did not have access to even a 120v plug?

Just as the market for people looking to haul loose mulch in a Porsche Cayenne is probably quite low, or stayed tuned for the article that declares that the two seat Smart car is really not a good car for a family of five. Strapping the kids to the roof is terribly inconvenient!

Another classic line:

"Trouble is, this car feels pretty ordinary when it's not doing the all-electric thing"

Let's translate that. Once you have depleted the battery, the engine kicks on to generate electricity to get you where you need to go. His complaint is that when the engine kicks on "it feels pretty ordinary." What exactly was he expecting it to feel like? Getting it to feel ordinary is actually a remarkable engineering feat. Go drive a Prius and see if it feels normal with its engine kicking off and on and revving in a way that does not correlate with your use of the accelerator pedal.

Last item:

"when getting up to speed on a freeway entrance ramp -- without the lithium-ion juice -- the Volt feels kind of slow (even if it isn't actually slower in reality)."

I do not even know what to make of this statement. The Volt is actually slightly faster when the engine is running. The author obviously knows this which is why he put in the "even if it isn't actually slower in reality." Undaunted by reality, he plunges ahead and tell us that it "feels" slow with the engine running. What can I say, you have to admire a car reviewer who is not going to let reality get in the way.

Oh yea, and for the record, you are always using "lithium-ion juice" in this car. The engine is a generator that makes electricity for the lithium battery, and under rare conditions the engine can also be coupled directly to the drivetrain.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Edmunds - This Fork Is A Terrible Spoon

Electric cars of today have great role on redefining car engineering to a cleaner method. The application of electric motors have significantly change mode of transportation through fuel efficient cars that consumes less fuel and for sure shall eradicate carbon emissions. However there are some technical downsides of having one on your garage when you start charging it up. Somehow you need to retrofit your house for electrically facilitate the charging station of the vehicle.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Edmunds - This Fork Is A Terrible Spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredyspears
However there are some technical downsides of having one on your garage when you start charging it up. Somehow you need to retrofit your house for electrically facilitate the charging station of the vehicle.
My plan is to not get the charging station right away. Thought I'd see how it goes with regular 120 v. It would take about 18 hours to fill the battery from empty. That sounds like a long time, except, I don't expect to drive 70 miles or so each day. More like 20 to 40. So, plugging in at night might work for me.

But, with a charging station, I could take advantage of that sweet spot in low cost electricity, usually between 1 and 5 AM., when cost is as low as 2 cents per kWh. vs average of about 11 cents. Worst time to charge for me, is between 1 and 4 PM in summer. Could be up to 18 cents per... But, there are some rebates for charging stations out there.