Missing The EV Forest For The Trees - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Missing The EV Forest For The Trees

It is not often that doing the right thing is also fun and exhilarating. But as this article by a certain Mrs. Holding over at the Huffington Post shows. EVs can do just that.

Those of us who have been closely following EV developments and scrutinizing OEM decisions on the minutiae of powertrain componentry sometimes forget that most car buyers don’t give a hoot about such things.

Ultimately for them the question is, what is the visceral car driving experience in an EV like? For Mrs. Holding apparently the answer was surprising and positive:

Quote:
But when I drove the Leaf, I felt transformed. Suddenly, I was 10 years old, riding my bicycle down a hill without a helmet… the only noise was the wind and the whine of tires on pavement… its design features -- light body materials, soft suspension and steering, double insulation, low adhesion tires and the instant acceleration of an electric motor -- sort of ET-like, suddenly you're going a whole lot faster -- all contribute to the feeling of floating on a cloud.
Which prompts her to ask “Why aren't the headlines about what a cool experience it is to drive an electric car?” Why indeed. This subject has been talked to death amongst online EV enthusiasts.

Regardless of the where the Press is coming from, I’ve given enough demo rides in the Volt to know that most people’s reaction to EVs is going to be very much like Mrs. Holding’s. Positive surprise at the supremely quiet ride, and brisk acceleration.

Couple that with the realization that you can do all of this for substantially lower operating costs and pollution, and one understands why the government of every major industrial nation is actively spending money and passing legislation to position their country to lead the way into this new automotive frontier.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote