1959 Chrysler Imperial sedan turned into 2-seat sports car - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1959 Chrysler Imperial sedan turned into 2-seat sports car

Some of the fastest, flashiest and funniest cars already are cruising Detroit's Woodward Avenue ahead of the annual 16-mile Dream Cruise on Saturday and a great one spotted yesterday by our friends at the Detroit Free Press: a 1959 Chrysler Imperial Speedster, which showed less is more when it comes to classics.

The Imperial started as a four-door sedan, but owner Murray Pfaff had a different vision. "I saw there was a little sports car in there, we just had to cut it out of the other car," Pfaff says.

So that's what the 42-year-old Royal Oak. Mich., guy and 10 friends did in his two-car garage -- 10,000 hours of work over 3 1/2 years. "We chopped it in half five times, took 52 inches out of the whole length of the car, shortening it in five different places, then we narrowed the car 8 inches," Pfaff says.

Three inches were taken off the top of the car, turning the champagne-colored classic Chrysler into a two-seat convertible.

"(Chrysler) designed and built a lot of two-seat sports cars to take around to the auto shows, but they never brought them to production," Pfaff said. "So, this was my 'What if Chrysler had built a two-seat sports car to compete against the convertible or Thunderbird?' "

With its orange accents, the Imperial is an eyecatcher, but chances are you'll hear it car before you see it. It's a modern pro-touring car, with 425 hp., 6.1-liter Hemi, a Schwartz G-Machine chassis, Dodge Viper independent rear suspension, and NASCAR superspeedway brakes by Raybestos, says Pfaff.

Even Pfaff's dapper driving hat is a custom look, from Henry the Hatter in downtown Detroit. "I went down there with photos of the car and said I need a lid to match," Pfaff says, and the result was a fedora with a shiny Imperial logo.

Pfaff says he's ready for the Dream Cruise debut of the Speedster, which has fewer than 700 miles so far on the odometer. "I look forward to it more than Christmas itself; it's just a car guy's dream come true. Nowhere are there people more crazy for cars than Detroit."
walkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 1959 Chrysler Imperial sedan turned into 2-seat sports c

This is kind of cool, and interesting. But is it on-topic for the Ford Focus Electric Forum?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyd
This is kind of cool, and interesting. But is it on-topic for the Ford Focus Electric Forum?
walkman is walking very close to the line

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2011, 02:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Wow!! Cool and very gorgeous Chrysler car!! All of its accessories and other Chrysler parts on it are vintage. I so love vintage cars. I wonder if this model still exist today and how much would be the cost.lol
Marcia Gentile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just love this car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
andrew15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

This car makes me remember the 60's! All muscle the car has an engine with extreme power to carry the large body of the car.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

i was searching for the best baby convertible car seats and some issues related to them i found this discussion. i really want some suggesions if you have experience with babies car seats please guide which is the best convertible car seat for my new born baby which will be the most comfy and quality product for my baby?alsosome of my friends told me it is not safe enough for Newborn baby.Anyone has suggestions?
Davidroger is offline   Reply With Quote