Not Sure If an EV Will Work For You? - Ford Focus Electric Forum
» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Not Sure If an EV Will Work For You?

Knowing if an EV will work for you is somewhat complicated, and with an array of competing technologies slated to arrive on the scene in the next 2 years it gets even more confusing for the would be buyer. I will admit that I bought the Volt and in one month realized that with a little more range, and a little faster recharge I would not need the backup engine. Of course we have other ICE based cars that can be used for long trips. Fortunately for me, my darling wife took a shine to the Volt, and while not comfortable with the idea of driving a BEV only vehicle, she is comfy with the Volt, knowing that the worst case scenario for running out of juice is that you burn some gas.

Now you can avoid my mistake! Greencarreports has this article on a device called the EV Profiler.

Quote:
The EV Profiler looks like a radar detector, but itís really a sophisticated GPS tracking device that records your car's exact position at all times. It measures your rate of acceleration or deceleration, your elevation change and your driving habits, then uploads the data on a nightly basis to EV Profilerís servers.

The company's computers then generate a detailed daily report showing the amount of battery power remaining, the lowest level of battery reached (if recharging took place during the day), a map of your travels, a minute-by-minute power profile, and a route list. Weíd call that almost too much information.
You might just use a GPS, but driving style, accelerations, and speed significantly effect range in an EV, so without a way to track those parameters and do the calculations you can't be sure of which EV would be the best fit.

The EV Profiler rents $25 for a week or $82 for a month. Late fee is $5 per day.

If you have a smartphone, another less expensive ($3.99) option would be the iEV 1.1 electric car simulator.

Quote:
iEV will show you whether an electric vehicle is able to fulfill your mobility needs and the best type of electric vehicle for your unique driving needs. This app could help save you a fortune and ensure you make the right choice with a major buying decision.

You can simulate an electric vehicle and itís feedback, whilst you travel in a regular fuel vehicle. You can also learn approximately which is the right battery capacity, for your needs - An important element when selecting the right battery. As these batteries can be extremely expensive, this alone is worth many times the cost of the iEV app!
Here is the Advanced Car Configuration Screen:

Driving Profile Screen:

Driving History Screen:

http://dottribes.com/iev

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/106 ... r-can-help

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Not Sure If an EV Will Work For You?

They must have raised the price: In the App Store this morning iEV is $5.99.

I'm game; installing it right now...

jmueller065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you're also planning to do this here are some specs for the Focus (many are from the ICE pages--I'll provide links below):

Coefficient of drag for the 2012 Focus = 0.295 from this Ford article
Weight (granted its the ICE version) ~ 2900lbs from this Ford spec .pdf file
This article mentions the weight at 3691 lbs for the electric.

I couldn't find a reference that provided the 2012 Focus' frontal area. For the App I'm guesstimating it as ~22 sq ft (from the weight spec above: width * height * 85%).

Old 08-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Using the above configuration for the FFE the iEV app calculated my commute yesterday afternoon and this morning as:

Commute to home: 20.23 miles and 6.43 kWh (Ave speed 27 m/h)
Commute to work: 19.74 miles and 6.73 kWh (Ave speed 51 m/h)

Note that my commute home yesterday involved a bit more city driving and thus a smaller average speed and smaller energy consumption.

These figures are a tad bit higher than what I was expecting/hoping for (my hope was that the range of the FFE was 2x my round trip commute to allow for a nice "range safety margin" in the event that work here doesn't let me plug in during the day).

Over the next few days I'm going to try different routes with different mixtures of highway/city driving to see how much that makes a difference...

Old 08-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

So far using the app for a few days it says that my average daily battery "size" (use) is 12.97kWh (with a maximum of 14.36 kWh).
Not bad--now the big question is how accurate is that vs reality...

Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmueller065
So far using the app for a few days it says that my average daily battery "size" (use) is 12.97kWh (with a maximum of 14.36 kWh).
Not bad--now the big question is how accurate is that vs reality...

That sounds about right, maybe conservative. I am averaging 29-33kwh per 1000 miles in the Volt. A BEV should be slightly more efficient.

Thanks for sharing the data.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

The thing that the calculators won't tell you is the affect of temperature on driving range. A full 1/3 of the US population lives in areas where temperatures can be as low as zero to as high as 100F in the same year.

I had already determined that if I can use AC trickle charging at my office (35+ miles away) I would have sufficient range with the FE, but I failed to take into account that there are a good six weeks of the year during which morning commute temps could be below freezing (I live in Colorado).

If I knew what the range impact would be with the FE based on ambient temps (the liquid thermal management is supposed to help, but how much?), I could make a decision on whether or not it would work for me.

Of course another option is to simply keep a "bad weather" ICE vehicle for operation in low temps when range suffers. I had already been considering this for days when the roads are bad (my ICE vehicle is an AWD)... but, another part of me balks at the idea of having to maintain and operate an entire 2nd vehicle just because the FE (or other electric) can't "cut it".

My wife and I are about 75% of the way towards scrapping the idea of an electric at this time, I would probably just squeeze another couple of years out of my aging car, or, buy an ICE Focus, drive it for a few years and hope (pray?) that EVs will improve in a reasonable amount of time.
voip-ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

No the calc's don't tell you what the overhead due to HVAC would be, but if you know just your commute accounts for X kWh then you have (battery) - X kWh left. The big question is that remainder enough to cover the HVAC concerns without having to charge during the day?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm not just referring to the load on the system due to climate control (and I'm really not interested in driving around being uncomfortable to gain a bit of range) I'm referring to the fact that cold temperatures will actually affect the range of the batteries, see example of the Leaf showing 32 miles of range in below freezing weather, at the start of a drive, and then running dead in 8 miles.
voip-ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja
I'm not just referring to the load on the system due to climate control (and I'm really not interested in driving around being uncomfortable to gain a bit of range) I'm referring to the fact that cold temperatures will actually affect the range of the batteries, see example of the Leaf showing 32 miles of range in below freezing weather, at the start of a drive, and then running dead in 8 miles.
Just get yourself some "hot hands" and ski apparel to wear on cold days, and don't run the heater. Of course you will have to coat the inside of all the glass with antifog spray