Ford Focus Electric Forum - View Single Post - Volt - Not Enough Juice For Pike's Peak
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Charged Up

Default Re: Volt - Not Enough Juice For Pike's Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonaire
You know, racing is just that. A structured event which pertains to very few common consumers.

The Volt is a very capable car and is not meant to be an EV-only up-hill mountain racing car

While the Leaf needs a recharge after the run, the Volt could have completed the run, came back down re-charging using the regen braking and then driven to Denver without needing a recharge. The way an EREV should do it. To me, the Volt and Leaf are not in the same car league. The Volt is more capable and a better fit for most EV-concious drivers.
I agree the Volt is a very capable car, and does exactly what it purports to do. I own one, and I love it. There has been speculation on various sites about why GM did not run the Volt, since obviously there is a history with GM and Pike's Peak.

Further agreed that the Leaf and the Volt are definitely different cars for different purposes.

It just so happens that this particular "race" was just short enough that the Leaf could make it up on battery only and the Volt could not. Doesn't mean the Volt isn't a good car.

People were speculating and wondering why GM wouldn't take "advantage" of this marketing opportunity. Now that we know how much juice the Leaf used to do it, the answer is self evident.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote