Getting By on 110AC? - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Getting By on 110AC?

Not many charging stations around here, so far getting by in 110AC at home adequately. I thought I could live with 110 and some free local charging but haven't found convenient free local charging. Thinking about getting a 240 charging station but so far 110 has worked at least for our first two weeks of ownership.
Anybody getting by on 110? Is there some event that trigers a need for a charging station? They seem to cost $1K+ so kills the economy a good bit. No refunds on charging systems where I live.
yakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi, I've had my Focus for a week and so far, so good with 110VAC. The deal I made was to get $1,500 off of sticker to cover the cost of the 220VAC charger. I still haven't gone to Best Buy to get the Leviton charger.
cleavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Are you guys just doing typical commutes from work to home and back and other errands we all do?
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

I possibly could have gotten by on the 110V charger commuting no more than about 40 miles. The display showed that charging would have to begin soon after I got home, and often to fully charge indicated it would have to remain plugged in until noon or 1 pm. I didn't need a full charge to commute so could leave with the range less than full.

If I had to make trips that added up to much more than 40 miles I would have been in trouble.

I had decided to get the Level 2 charger anyway as the ability to charge completely in less than 4 hours perfectly fit the Virginia Dominion Power plan for Electric Vehicles for off off peak charging. Beginning at 0100, 1 a.m., the rate for electricity on my EV plan is 5.5 cents per KWh, so it costs me 75 cents perhaps to drive for one day compared to almost 2 gallons of gas, or $6-7 a day.

On 110V I would have to begin charging before 10 pm which is in one of the peak and most expensive periods to use electricity.

I don't know if that would ever pay off, as electricity is cheap relatively, but I wouldn't want to pay 17 cents per KWH as when charging the Focus consumes about 1500 Watts, similar to 3 large plasma TVs.

I did buy the Leviton charger but the Best Buy visit was largely a waste of $99. You may be able to contact a trusted electrician who could buy the Leviton charger. My electrician from Virginia Beach area was great and discounted a couple of hundred dollars. He said he could get no discount buying the Leviton charger off it's list, so he couldn't discount that for me. I think his total including the charger was $1299 compared to the suggested price of $1500. The Leviton may have been around $800, but it works well and talks to the Focus very well.

Edit. Good Luck! I really enjoy this car a lot.
billsblots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

An awesome investment would be a charge station for your house that has solar panels

Just pay the initial cost and your set!
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi, almost 3 weeks with the car and 110VAC is still working out OK. Commute is only 10 mile RT but once or twice each week I drive 26 miles RT after work. Also drove 72 miles one way to my parents' house for a 2-night stay and then drove home. The car did not have a complete charge by the time I had to drive to work the next morning but it was no problem. The next recharge was complete.

If I had a commute that was 60+ miles the I could see how 220VAC charging would be a necessity but with my current driving 110VAC is working fine. I will still get the Leviton (or other) charger but I'm not in a rush and it's a busy time of year.
cleavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
mwa

I've had my FFE since July and have about 3300 miles on it and have gotten by just fine with 110V charging. My commute is only 10 miles each way so it works out fine. I did buy an extra 110V charger though for convenience.
mwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwa View Post
I've had my FFE since July and have about 3300 miles on it and have gotten by just fine with 110V charging. My commute is only 10 miles each way so it works out fine. I did buy an extra 110V charger though for convenience.
How much did your second unit cost? I think they are about $400 so that is a long way to a Level 2 charger.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
mwa

I purchased a Level 1 - 120 Portable Leviton Charger thru Amazon for approximately $800.00. Of course it is overpriced, but it is convenient and it allows charging at either 7 or 12 map. Ergonomically it is much nicer than the one that comes with the Focus Electric.
mwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just got our Siemens 240 charger installed. Much faster than 120AC, more than twice as fast, like 3 to 4 hours Vs 16+. This is a 32 amp hard wired unit and works well so far.