My purchase and tale of woe - Page 2 - Ford Focus Electric Forum
» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Plus for 8000 ft in Colorado starting to think plug in hybrid is maybe a smarter way to go
Why? An electric motor does not suffer the same "altitude sickness" that an ICE does.

jmueller065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
JAG

That's true, it's more the hills and cold temps that have caused me to re-think. Plus the nearest dealer is in Denver, 100 miles away and over Vail Pass. Taking the car in for service, if necessary, would be a major headache.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Garage

I would check the Ford site to see if any new dealerships have signed up to is EV certified. Also Western Slope Auto in Grand Junction may be closer for you. This is also options for recharging on the way. Bear in mind that websites like ChargePoint, Blink and Plug share, are good source for finding charging stations. The worse case recharge time would be 4 hours on a level 2 charging station that is rated at 30 amps. Most public charging stations are rated at 30 or 32 amps. One of the most important things to consider, does the vehicle meet your needs? If not then consider the C-Max Energi. This is a plug in hybrid with about a 20 mile driving range. It seats 5 and is about $5000 to $7000 cheaper than the Volt. Base price is $33,745. Right now Ford is offering $3750 off on some of the C-Max models. This vehicle would also qualify for part of the $7500 tax credit the federal government is offing. I have had a FFE 2 months and 1487 miles now. Every one of those miles has been enjoyable. As for the federial tax credit this is based on the size of the battery pack. The tax credit for new plug-in electric vehicles is worth $2,500 plus $417 for each kilowatt-hour of battery capacity over 4 kwh, and the portion of the credit determined by battery capacity cannot exceed $5,000. Therefore, the total amount of the credit allowed for a new PEV is $7,500.
16 Kwh battery pack will get the maximum credit. Unfortunately for me I'm not high enough income earner to take full advantage of all the tax credit.
The C-Max Energi has a 7.5 Kwh battery, and qualifies for a $3959.50 federal tax credit. Its lower price point and tax credit makes it viable option, if the FFE doesn't meet your requirements.
JeffAnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
JAG

Western Slope isn't EV certified yet so they're not an option yet. Also I have to say that the Tesla S at $49k seems like a better deal than Focus at $40k. It is twice as fast in 0-60 and I would think rear wheel drive is nicer with the insta-torque electric drive.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
mwa

I wouldn't be too concerned that your nearest EV dealer is that far away. Any Ford dealer could take care of most problems and more dealers will be certified next year. The nearest EV Ford dealer to me is a couple of 100 miles away. I have 2600 miles on mine & like Jeff said, it is a pleasure to drive. From the manual, it seems that the first scheduled maintenance isn't until 10000 miles anyway.
mwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAnd View Post
I would check the Ford site to see if any new dealerships have signed up to is EV certified. Also Western Slope Auto in Grand Junction may be closer for you. This is also options for recharging on the way. Bear in mind that websites like ChargePoint, Blink and Plug share, are good source for finding charging stations. The worse case recharge time would be 4 hours on a level 2 charging station that is rated at 30 amps. Most public charging stations are rated at 30 or 32 amps. One of the most important things to consider, does the vehicle meet your needs? If not then consider the C-Max Energi. This is a plug in hybrid with about a 20 mile driving range. It seats 5 and is about $5000 to $7000 cheaper than the Volt. Base price is $33,745. Right now Ford is offering $3750 off on some of the C-Max models. This vehicle would also qualify for part of the $7500 tax credit the federal government is offing. I have had a FFE 2 months and 1487 miles now. Every one of those miles has been enjoyable. As for the federial tax credit this is based on the size of the battery pack. The tax credit for new plug-in electric vehicles is worth $2,500 plus $417 for each kilowatt-hour of battery capacity over 4 kwh, and the portion of the credit determined by battery capacity cannot exceed $5,000. Therefore, the total amount of the credit allowed for a new PEV is $7,500.
16 Kwh battery pack will get the maximum credit. Unfortunately for me I'm not high enough income earner to take full advantage of all the tax credit.
The C-Max Energi has a 7.5 Kwh battery, and qualifies for a $3959.50 federal tax credit. Its lower price point and tax credit makes it viable option, if the FFE doesn't meet your requirements.
Actually -- the C-Max Energi gets only the $3,750 Fed Tax Credit (it's not from Ford but requires you to have at least that much tax liability to take advantage of it) and no other incentives (although Ford has included it in Ford partner X-pricing for a slight discount) and the 'regular' C-Max Hybrid doesn't get that but does have a $1,000 cash back incentive from Ford. We have also heard that some states (like CA) are also offering a smaller rebate on just the plug-in Energi so you may want to check that out as well. These incentives can be complex so its worth it to check on the specifics before counting on anything --- it is true the 'full' EV's like the FFE, LEAF, Mitsu 'i' and Volt due to their battery sizes do get the full $7,500 fed tax credit but again, you have to have enough tax liability or lease them to get the full credit.
redEV is offline   Reply With Quote