Chicago area dealership gets first Focus Electric demonstrator - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Arrow Chicago area dealership gets first Focus Electric demonstrator

On a visit to Highland Park Ford Lincoln on August 31 I found out that they had just gotten their demonstrator Ford Focus Electric. It was white and had the leather interior. Since the car was delivered the day before they had not prepped the car for use. Rats no test drive. But it did give me an opportunity look under the hood, and check the trunk space out.\
The Key reason I visited the dealer was because this is the dealership I had ordered the car from. I was very pleased to find out that the car had been made, and was scheduled to be delivered the week of September 10th. This is an estimated date the dealership would receive the car.

Last edited by JeffAnd; 09-03-2012 at 11:30 AM.
JeffAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

JeffAnd,

Thanks for the updates. So, what is your time frame from order date to delivery? Do you think it will be shorter, later this month?
Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

As for delivery times I would guess between 60 to 90 days once the order is placed. Since my order is coming in 2 weeks after the dealer has gotten the demonstrator car, this makes me think that this could be the first private sale in the Chicago area. Ford right now seems to be getting the demonstrator Focus Electric out to the dealerships. Then standing orders you would think would be delivered next. The sooner you get your order into the system the sooner you will get your car. You will need to ask the dealership if they are an EV certified phase 1B. If they are like a phase 3 dealership you may not get your car until next year. Also find out how many standing orders they have? If the orders are greater than the dealerships alotment could cause a delay in your order.

Last edited by JeffAnd; 09-04-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

JeffAnd, thanks for that.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Here is an update on the status of the Ford Focus Electric I ordered.
Today at work I got a phone call from the Ford dealer in Chicago. He informed me the car had arrived at the dealership. So this Saturday I will be making the trip to the dealership to pick up the car. I plan on driving the car 97 miles to my home in Wisconsin. With my charge point card in hand Iíll be making the trip. I will be stopping at public charging station along the way, to guaranty the completion of the trip.
Late Saturday I should have some more details posted.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Good luck Jeff. Looking forward to your comments....
dwf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Default Making it home

I arrived at the Highland Park Ford Lincoln Dealer ship Saturday at about 10:00 AM. After looking over the signing a small pile of paperwork the car was free to take home. The trip to my house was about 97 miles. The beyond the distance the car can drive on a single charge at posted freeway speeds. Once sitting the car getting ready to go I did notice that the battery was not fully charged. So I plugged it in to top off the battery. After a half hour we decided to go even though it was 98% charged. The range display told me I could go 75 miles on the current charge. The Charge Point charging station was about 57 miles away. This was good enough to get us to the charge station located at the Clarion Hotel by the Milwaukee Airport. After driving about 4 miles my reserve range had dropped to about 16 miles. Seeing the reserve range dropping slowly made me feel uncomfortable. The first twenty miles of the trip has on a highway with some stop lights with posted speeds between 45 and 55 MPH. I did about 42 to 48 MPH during this stretch of road. The next section of road was freeway driving, but this was through a construction zone that had posted speeds of 55 MPH. So I decided to stay on the freeway until the construction zone ended (about 5 miles). Then I exited the freeway onto the empty frontage roads were I could drive at 45 MPH. Doing this caused the reserve range to climb back up to 31 miles by the time we reached the charging station. So once the Focus was plugged in we decided to have something to eat at the hotel to kill some time. After about an hour and 15 minutes the charging station display displayed 6.85 KWH. The Focus range now read 61 miles range. The distance home was now only 40 miles and 93% of this is freeway driving. With a reserve range of 21 miles I felt confident I would make it home. So with half of the freeway driving at 55 MPH and the other half at 65 MPH I decided to travel at 2 to 3 MPH above the posted speeds. Doing this caused the reserve range to drop to about 13 miles by the time I got home. The total trip distance ended up being about 100 miles.

Driving the car at speeds 55 and 65 does reduce driving range. Driving at lower speeds like 45 MPH seems to improve the driving range.

Last edited by JeffAnd; 09-08-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAnd View Post
Driving the car at speeds 55 and 65 does reduce driving range. Driving at lower speeds like 45 MPH seems to improve the driving range.
Congrats on getting the car home. Hope you enjoyed your ride

I did a similar scenerio. I bought the car in NY and drove it home to RI. 186 miles.

One of my discoveries is how easy the car rides on the Interstate. I actually improved my mileage status when I played the old man - drove in the right hand lane at 60 mph. I set the AC at 73 degrees and put the cruise control on staying steady at 60 mph.

I have to do an 82 mile, one way commute, once a month. Newport, RI to Providence, RI to Westerly, RI. I drive route US 1 for half the trip and I-95 for the last half. Surprisingly, I-95 is always the more effiecient route.

The one consideration I will add is that I live on the coast and any elevation higher than 60 feet is considered a mountain. We have very flat terrain and I think that helps.

Developing confidence in your "Range Anxiety" takes a few weeks of driving. At this point I have a good feel for how far I can go and use the car within those parameters. I like to do those once per month long trips just to keep my confidence up.....

Last edited by dwf1; 09-09-2012 at 09:04 AM.
dwf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Picking up the FFE at Highland Park Ford Lincoln.

Chase car following me home

At the Clarion hotel giving a needed 1 1/4 hour recharge.

At long last home sweet home.

September 6th the Ford charging station was install. Two days later I picked up the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FFEdealership.jpg (89.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg FFEtraffic.jpg (88.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg FFErecharge.jpg (86.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg FFEchargepoint.jpg (93.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

JeffAnd,

Thanks for the update and pics. I know what a great feeling that must be!

Enjoy your new car, and keep us informed!