Battery Life - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Battery Life

Below is my hand typed copy of the warranty in my FFE's handbook. This answers the question, posed by some, about the warranty of the battery and the guarantee of a minimum capacity being maintained over the 8 year warranty period.

"Note: Lithium-Ion Battery Gradual Capacity Loss

The Lithium-ion battery (EV battery) will experience gradual capacity loss with time and use (similar to all lithium-ion batteries), which is considered normal wear and tear. Loss of battery capacity due to or resulting from gradual capacity loss is NOT covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. See your Owner's Manual for improtant tips on how to maximize the life and capacity of the Lithium-ion batttery."

The following was written by Tom Volek for King 5 News.

http://www.king5.com/on-tv/driving-n...156397255.html

It came from an interview with Mike Tinskey, the Associate Director of Vehicle Electrification at Ford and he spoke directly about the life of the battery.

Quote:
Worried About Battery Durability?
Ford isn’t. The pack has a 10-year warranty. They’ve been making hybrids for years now and monitoring the units in taxi fleets, they’ve found them to be much like new after significant use. Their belief is that after 10-12 years of normal use, the battery should still have 80 percent of its original capacity. Ford says that the pack is integral to the car and, much like a gas engine, is not easily replaceable. The thinking is after a dozen years you’ll be tired of the car and will sell it to a college student who just needs a reliable runabout for city use, just like any other 12-year-old car.
I can only assume he messed up his notes because the Ford Battery Warranty reads as follows:

"(4) Your vehicle's unique hybrid / electric components are covered during the Hybrid / Electric Unique Component Coverage, which lasts for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first."
dwf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Battery Life

Quote:
Loss of battery capacity due to or resulting from gradual capacity loss is NOT covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Yes, the question still remains, for the purposes of the Ford warranty, what is considered gradual?

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Their belief is that after 10-12 years of normal use, the battery should still have 80 percent of its original capacity.
So we keep a copy of Tom Volek's story when we have a reduced capacity battery and tell them to pony up on a new $15,000 replacement. Think that will work??? LOL

Old 06-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
What happens as you drive the car past the charge showing on the dash to the point of it stoping in the road?
I've seen the yellow 'low charge' light.
Is there a red one that come on next? Does it shout at me?
Does it go into a slow mode (enough power to get off the road)?
Is the car permanently damaged by driving it until it quits?
Can you estimate how far this is from the first yellow warning? (how much fuel in the tank past 'E')?
Oh Whit.... Range anxiety. Someday that might be classified as a medical condition.

I understand completely. My wife and I are dealing with the same feelings. This car drives like any nomal automobile except instead of a fuel gauge you have a intuitive battery gauge. The gauge is different every time we charge up. And, you have to asses the conditions of when and where you are driving. If it is dark and rainy the lights come on and you immediately lose 3-4 miles of range. Windshield wipers another 2 miles. Turn on the AC and you lose 5 miles. We are driving 80 miles round trip, will we make it??? If we drive to the mall 30 miles away and shop from one store to another, will we make it home???

Whit, I do not have the answer to any of your questions above. I really wish they had made a monitor that stated explicity how many kWH were in the battery at any given time. We learned how to judge the distance in a gasoline tank, why can't we learn how to judge an "electric tank"?