FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Ford Focus Electric Forum

Ford Focus Electric Forum (https://fordfocuselectric.com/forums/)
-   Main Ford Focus Forum (https://fordfocuselectric.com/forums/4-main-ford-focus-forum/)
-   -   Focus Electric Launch to be Scrubbed…Again? (https://fordfocuselectric.com/forums/4-main-ford-focus-forum/387-focus-electric-launch-scrubbed-again.html)

Charged Up 05-09-2012 04:23 PM

Focus Electric Launch to be Scrubbed…Again?

The window on Ford's Spring launch to retail customers is quickly closing. One user at fordfocuselectric.com was given a time frame of early to mid April for delivery of his Focus Electric which was ordered in November of 2011. Discussions with the dealer have disclosed that the vehicle has been built but was pulled before being shipped.

http://insideevs.com/focus-electric-...crubbed-again/

GKalkas 05-09-2012 08:39 PM

Re: Focus Electric Launch to be Scrubbed…Again?

And, I wonder what this does to the schedule for future launches? IE, Chicago. :(

redEV 05-10-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKalkas
And, I wonder what this does to the schedule for future launches? IE, Chicago. :(

Ha, don't hold your breath, Chicago was supposed to be an initial launch city but that didn't happen. We have seen a LOT more Ford TV ad's as of late that feature both the FFE and new Fusion Hybrid as well as 'shadow' like versions of the upcoming C-Max but not much else. Here in Chicago we have the Volt, the LEAF and the Mitsu 'i' but still no FFE ... the only FFE's we've seen are on TV (NASCAR Pace car was cool) or at the auto shows. It's too bad because we have a Ford plant (builds the Explorer) in town so I would think it would be well received once it finally does arrive. I've personally seen almost a dozen Volts 'in the wild', just one other customer LEAF and only dealer demo Mitsu 'i''s but at a recent Green Car Show the mechanic in attendance says that they've delivered a few locally already. The FFE is definitely losing some sales, especially for the early EV adopter crowd who for various reasons can't wait any longer.

JeffAnd 05-10-2012 11:10 PM

The reason why Ford hasn't launch the Focus Electric still continues as a mystery. But apparently some of the car customers have order have been produced but not delivered. There are possible reasons for this.

1 There is some defect in design of the car that needs to correction.
2nd A vendor is having problems manufacturing parts for the car.
3rd The final version of the software is not ready for the cars.
:idea:
A defect in the car design is the least likely because they are apparently making the cars.
A vendor problem would explain low volume delivery, but would not explain why no deliveries have been made.
The software not being ready would explain the cars being made but not delivered.

Ford may make some deliveries in May, so that still can claim a spring launch for 1A. Then do mass deliveries in July setting an all time sales record for any electric car. Ford may have standing orders for easily over 1000 cars. As more areas open up for orders sales could dramatically increase. Ford has invest alot of time and money into the electric vehicles program. So they are serious with the program. Or could the slow roll out be caused by something else?

dwf1 05-11-2012 02:35 AM

Quote:

Ford may have standing orders for easily over 1000 cars
That statement interest me very much. Let's try to find out a number....

In the initial release in NY, NJ, & CA there were approximently 70 dealers available. Anyone in the country could order from these dealers. I spoke to 5 dealers in the NY & NJ area who told me they were alloted 3 FFE to preorder and they could not move more then their allotment. If that is a correct assumption for all the dealers, then they have the ability to preorder (70X3) 210 Focus Electrics. They opened a dealership in Virginia for the NASCAR gig and let's say my numbers and assumptions are incorrect so double it and you have 500 available to preorder in the first round.

The second point is made by my research through out the internet. I have attempted to investigate as many forums as possible. I always find or post a topic "Have you Ordered?" As of this date I can only give you the user names of 6 individuals who have ordered the FFE.

I wish we could get some inside information on this number. I would love to hear of 1000 other patron saints ordering the FFE, but right now I am skeptical.

What do you think??????

JeffAnd 05-11-2012 09:55 PM

I called one California dealership back in March and was told that they had orders for 16 cars. Now this amount will change over time. Most likely this amount has increase now. But this was only one dealership. Since the state of California has an added $2500 incentive, sales in this state would be higher than other states. I think that many dealers have already exceeded thier allotments.

dwf1 05-11-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

I called one California dealership back in March and was told that they had orders for 16 cars.
Now that is a positive statement!!! Tks....

I have written to Brad Berman, EV journalist who wrote a very good article for the NYTimes. He had a face fo face with Eric Kuehn, Ford's chief engineer for global electrified products. My request was to see if he could find out how many have been preordered. We shall see.

Charged Up 05-12-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

The second point is made by my research through out the internet. I have attempted to investigate as many forums as possible. I always find or post a topic "Have you Ordered?" As of this date I can only give you the user names of 6 individuals who have ordered the FFE.
Its hard to believe that people who would buy EVs don't go online and talk about them, but you know there are legions who don't.

I like this notion of trying to figure out how many orders based on the number of certified dealers, although you must factor in that one of those allotments is for the demo car. And of course allocation will vary greatly by dealer. The Richmond dealer told me, they had allocation for two cars. One for the demo and one for me, and they are not allowed to sell the demo.

I agree they will do whatever to make their "Spring Launch." I just like to try and needle them into talking because they have I been so tight lipped.

I am thinking QC check on every vehicle and maybe some last minute software stuff. Isn't this wild speculation stuff fun!

So still no word from your dealer Wood?

dwf1 05-12-2012 02:03 AM

Quote:

So still no word from your dealer Wood?
I receive a weekly update (Tuesdays) from Angela @ Ford Customer support. Brief and to the point - "No change in Status." No reasons or hints just niceties.

Quote:

Its hard to believe that people who would buy EVs don't go online and talk about them, but you know there are legions who don't.
Correct! We have the most members +1000. Most of the others have 4-500. I feel kind of lonely sometimes :( If you look at the posts only about a dozen people post with any regularity. Thanks, Chargedup, jmueller065, redEV, randyd, JeffAnd, etc. The Focus Fanatics Forum has a uge membership, but it is much older and deals with all Focus automobiles. Their Focus Fanatics electric forum only has about 400 posts. The Leaf forum, which has been in existance for about three years has around 5000 members and a little under 200,000 posts. Lots of info available.

I guess it could be said most preorder individuals must have a life :lol: