Richmond Ford Focus Electric Test Drive Event – Conclusion - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Richmond Ford Focus Electric Test Drive Event – Conclusion

Yesterday, Forbes published an article about a Chevrolet dealer who is selling 25 Volts a month. This sort of blows every other Volt dealer out of the water. Most are not selling that many in a year or two. This dealer, of course, is making a seriously concerted effort to do that. It isn’t just happening by accident.

http://insideevs.com/richmond-ford-f...nt-conclusion/
Marc Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Richmond Ford Focus Electric Test Drive Event – Conclusi

Marc,

In the article above you suggest that the "...regen level on D is noticeably heavier than the Volt." You said the chief Engineer Eric Kuehn told you that "you want more "sailing". Which you can do by moving the shifter into N. My question to you is did Eric say that you could specifically shift into N for the purpose of sailing without damaging the drivetrain?

I am aware the Electric drivetrain is an entirely different animal than the ICE drive trains. However, I ask this because most transmission are not ment to sail in neutral. I am completely unfamiliar with the Focus drive train and would like to know if you can actually sail in neutral without doing any damage. I am a big proponent of utilizing my transmission to sail and slow down because it saves gas and brakes. I bought my ICE Avalon partly because Toyota designed it's five speed transmission with this purpose in mind.
dwf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf1
Marc,

In the article above you suggest that the "...regen level on D is noticeably heavier than the Volt." You said the chief Engineer Eric Kuehn told you that "you want more "sailing". Which you can do by moving the shifter into N. My question to you is did Eric say that you could specifically shift into N for the purpose of sailing without damaging the drivetrain?
Couldn't agree more. The Prius has this, I'll call it a feature, where you can back off on the pedal just so (it takes some skill)*, and it begins silent fee wheeling! No gas, no electric, nothin'. Going down a slight hill, it's like, well, sailing! or being in a glider. Meanwhile, the mpg's shoot up, and the speed remains constant.

*In Japan, there is a group of Prius drivers, known as "nenpimania" who drive barefoot, among other things, to get a better feel of the pedal.

It would be great if we could do this easily in the FFE.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

You should be able to glide in the Focus like any other toyota hybrid car. This is done by having your foot very lightly on the pedal. The more you release the pedal the stronger the regen braking should by. By simple stepping on the brake should increase the regenative braking. If you step on the brake hard enoph the mechanical brakes will start to engage.
JeffAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf1
Marc,

I am aware the Electric drivetrain is an entirely different animal than the ICE drive trains. However, I ask this because most transmission are not ment to sail in neutral. I am completely unfamiliar with the Focus drive train and would like to know if you can actually sail in neutral without doing any damage. I am a big proponent of utilizing my transmission to sail and slow down because it saves gas and brakes. I bought my ICE Avalon partly because Toyota designed it's five speed transmission with this purpose in mind.
Wood...good eye... Eric did NOT say shift into N for the purpose of "sailing." That was my opinion.

There is no inherent resistence in an electric motor, and the FFE is direct drive so I see no reason why shifting to N should be a probelm. Sailing in an EV is not like in a gas at all. You can roll for a long time and the decel is very slow.

My point is that when I lift off the pedal I would like for it to freewheel or "sail" as it were. For the kind of driving and traffic I experience, more sail would be better. Then if I want regen I can go to the brake. Shifting works, but it gets annoying to do, and I am always concerned that I might shift to far and go into R...yikes!

I know for a fact that I can drive more efficiently with more sail. Regen should be the last resort. Maintaining moment or not doing needless accelerations is key.

I may or may not have heard that there may or may not have been discussions about allowing the amount of regen in D to be user selectable. Not holding my breath, but that would be way cool.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

I guess we will just have to wait for our cars and "go sailing...." Tks, for the reply.

Excelent article in the NY Times on the electric Focus.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/06/au....html?_r=1&hpw
dwf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charged Up
I may or may not have heard that there may or may not have been discussions about allowing the amount of regen in D to be user selectable.
Having adjustable regen would be a nice, especially in the snow. It would also make the driving experience pleasant and smooth out transitions.
JeffAnd is offline   Reply With Quote