Three Men and An Electric Car - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Three Men and An Electric Car

Men's Health rolled down the red carpet from inside the NY Auto and pointed the Focus Electric towards LA on April 11th Taking off on their “race” across America. Except this race is definitely all about the journey and not about getting there in record time. And this is very fitting for an electric car because almost invariably slipping behind the wheel of an EV transforms you from fire breathing speed hound into a more zen like state where you voluntarily and happily drive the speed limit.

You probably doubt this. I know I did. When you’ve driven one aggressive way all your life it is hard to imagine kicking back and just going with the flow. I had a an Army buddy who used to drive just below the speed limit. It drove me crazy. I mean it was embarrassing being passed by blue hairs, and I had to fight the urge to bop him on the back of the head and say fly you fool!

I guess years of driving around on military bases had trained him that way. The MPs are notorious for giving speeding tickets for merely looking like you were about to go one mph over. There are of course many good reasons to actually drive the posted speed limit. But none of them were compelling until I drove electric. And not to say the acceleration isn’t there. You just don’t often feel compelled to pull it out of the hat. It is really a pleasant, peaceful way to drive. You’re gonna like it.

Anyway you can track the progress of MH and the FFE with daily updates here.

Reading through I found myself thinking over and over “good Lord! They are getting paid to do this.” Lucky dogs.

NOT TO BE MISSED, is the first post which is a handling letter of sorts from the wife of the guy organizing this whole shebang. It is riotously funny. Mostly because as men we like watching other men get their nuts cracked by their spouses. Especially when they do it with much humor.

From the opening breath she cuts through the malarkey to get to the heart of what this road trip is really all about:

Quote:
Congratulations on your participation in the Challenge. You may have realized that this “reinvention of the American road trip” is actually my husband’s adolescent male fantasy version of a clown car. It will involve at times a race car driver, a beauty queen, a military hero, a sex columnist, a filmmaker, a Marilyn Monroe look-alike, and a television star.
Somewhere around zinger four or five I found my bloodlust for husband bashing sated and started to feel a wee bit sorry for guy. Well ok, probably not that far but I was only laughing on the inside at that point.

I think his dear wife started to realize the horse was dead and the flogging beyond cruel because she made amends with:

Quote:
You probably know that Eric is an eminently nice guy. He’s also a wonderful husband who steadfastly supports my dreams, and I appreciate your help with supporting his.
The journey is off to an interesting start. By the end we may be musing about what a long strange trip it’s been.
Marc Lee is offline   Reply With Quote