Ford Leverages Tech to Advertise on the Cheap - Ford Focus Electric Forum
» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ford Leverages Tech to Advertise on the Cheap

Menís Health began its coast to coast trip in a Ford Focus Electric yesterday.

Chris Woodyard over at the USA Today responded in his predictable fashion, which is to shoot down anything to do with EVs. Here is his opening stanza:

Quote:
If you wonder why electric cars aren't catching on with the public, look at Ford Motor's latest gimmick, a cross-country trip in a Focus Electric.
This isnít an opinion column heís writing, this is supposed to be fact based reporting. I guess we have another writer from the Fox School of Journalism. He continues with

Quote:
Sounds like they will spend as much time at the charger as they do on the road. That's not far from the truth, considering that driving slower will conserve battery power and mean fewer rechargesÖNow if they were in the Chevrolet Volt with its backup gas engine ... oh, it probably doesn't matter. Ford never would have allowed it.
If I sound like I have angst with Woodyard, I do. I expect this crap from Fox, but not from USA Today. I guess I need to alter my expectations. If you doubt me, ďgoogleĒ Volt and Chris Woodyard, or for that matter anything to do with electric vehicles. The pattern is clear.

While it is arguably dodgy taking what is best suited to be a commuter car and driving it cross country, Ford understands that, they are not idiots. Let us recall that they were the only one out of the Big 3 that didnít end up going to DC for a handout.

It is a publicity tour. A chance to put the vehicle out there and raise some awareness. And guess what CW, it is working. Your writing about it, Iím writing about it and as of 7:55 am there were over 110 articles on this and the new Yahoo! Reality Series featuring the Focus EV.

As this article from Business Week points out, all part of Fordís strategy of doing advertising on a budget. Especially on a technology that has not yet proved it can survive and thrive in an environment where many elements have been somewhat less than welcoming.

BW makes the case for Ford with the following observation:

Quote:
Fordís digital-media campaigns tend to cost less than $10 million compared with as much as $100 million for a traditional marketing program, John Felice, general manager of Ford and Lincoln sales, said in an interview in New York.
A corporation pinching pennies on advertising and still achieving its endsÖ what a concept.
Marc Lee is offline   Reply With Quote