Ford Soundly Beats Nissan on Focus MPGe - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ford Soundly Beats Nissan on Focus MPGe

Ford has finally release info from their EPA Label. They had been hinting that they would best Nissan on the MPGe numbers. They did so by a wider than expected margin.

Focus

110 city
105 combined
99 highway
76 miles range

Leaf
106 city
99 combined
92 highway
73 miles range

Mitsubishi's i remains the MPGe leader, but the styling and features package of the i suggest to me more of an experiment than a car vying for mainstream acceptance, however for those looking for a budget EV option the Mitsu may be compelling.

Quote:
The entire group feels like a sports team that has just won a major championship. It’s a good feeling to be at this point now.
They should feel good. Soundly beating Nissan on MPGe with a car 300lbs heavier and 1 kwh smaller battery is impressive. However, the celebrations should be short lived, this car is coming out well after the Leaf. To be sure Nissan will be coming back with some improved MPGe numbers for the next iteration of the Leaf.

Quote:
“Unlike competitors that have designed electric and hybrid vehicles from scratch, Focus Electric benefits from being based on the fuel version of Ford’s global C-segment car.”
There are pro and cons to this. On the whole I think Ford has made the pros out weigh the cons. There is some intrusion on the cargo area, but a substantial electronics and features package makes amends. For the future, finding parts for the Focus that is made by the tens of thousands per month may be easier done than on the Leaf which has a much more modest production. Of course this rule only applies to the parts which are common to both the gas and electric version of the Focus.

Quote:
“Faster charging with 240 volts also can extend range as drivers can more quickly recharge between stops – up to 20 miles per charge hour – so they can significantly improve a car’s range during a busy day of driving by recharging multiple times.”
There is no doubt about this. Nissan has realized the need for this, which is why they announced MY2013 Leafs will have also have a 6.6kw charger, as opposed to the 3.3kw charger they have now

This is not something that can easily be upgraded at this point, so if doesn’t come with it from the factory upgrading isn’t really an option.

Personally I have been torn between the Leaf and the Focus. I think either car makes a compelling case. For me the styling, features, and faster charging of the Focus win the day, but anymore delays may have me singing another tune. Availability for the next year on the Focus EV will be severely limited compared to the Leaf.

It has been widely reported that the Leaf is $4000 less than the Focus EV. But this is comparing "base" models. The Ford Focus only has one real option, leather seats or recycled fiber. Other than that the car is loaded. So a more apt comparison is the loaded Leaf, and there the difference is about $2000, and indeed 90% of the Leaf sales have been the upgraded option.

Another key factor is battery warranty. Both have a nominal 8yr/100k warranty, but Ford has not stated whether they will guarantee any sort of range performance. Nissan has made it clear they are NOT guaranteeing any range performance. In either case, it appears likely the batteries will out perform the warranty, but it would be nice to have that in writing.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Ford Soundly Beats Nissan on Focus MPGe

Actually, the Tesla Roadster is the MPGe king at 119 MPGe, beating the i-Miev's 112 MPGe.
Eletruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Ford Soundly Beats Nissan on Focus MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eletruk
Actually, the Tesla Roadster is the MPGe king at 119 MPGe, beating the i-Miev's 112 MPGe.
I sit corrected.

But somehow it doesn't seem fair to compare five seaters to the two seat roadster, whose roofline is probably about even with the seats on the others. OK I exaggerate but only a little.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote