Ford Announces 2013 Fusion with Hybrid and PHEV options! - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ford Announces 2013 Fusion with Hybrid and PHEV options!

New 2013 Fusion includes Hybrid and Plug-In Hybrid options:
http://fordfusionstory.com/

What I find laughable, though, is a line from this paragraph:
Quote:
The Fusion Energi plug-in model is designed for people who care the most about energy efficiency. It is expected to deliver fuel efficiency of up to more than 100 MPGe. This trounces Chevrolet Volt by at least 6 MPGe and is 13 MPGe better than the projected estimate for the Toyota Prius PHEV.
What I find funny here is the "This trounces Chevrolet Volt by at least 6 MPGe". Really? My rule of thumb is not to use "trounce" unless the difference is AT LEAST 20%! 6 MPGe when we're talking 100MPGe--thats only 6%...shame on you Ford! LOL

More info here too:
http://social.ford.com/our-articles/...3-ford-fusion/

jmueller065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Ford Announces 2013 Fusion with Hybrid and PHEV options!

Quote:
Itís anticipated that the hybrid will offer 47 mpg and the electric-hybrid will offer drivers a 100 mpg equivalent with a full range of 500 miles.
Read more: http://www.windsorstar.com/cars/Ford+in ... z1iyhV6giM

So we see now that Ford will use the "Energi" designation for its plug in vehicles.

The 47 MPG is impressive if that's what the official EPA estimate ends up being. The Volt is rated 35/40, but I typically see 40/45. So a 47 rating would push it well over 50 real world for me.

Still no hard number on expected electric range for CMAX or the Fusion

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Note that the CMAX hybrids now have their own website on ford.com:
http://www.ford.com/cars/cmax/2013/

jmueller065 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

The car very much look like an aston martin it has some resemblance on the front end. Great thing about this car is Ford designed the car with a sporty and mean looking feature despite being hybrid or electric.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

At the Providence, RI Auto show the 2013 ICE Fusion was on display. You could not touch the car or get into it. But it is a beautiful automobile. The Factory representative was very vague about information. Release date of for the ICE is September, the Hybrid follows in December and the Plug in Hybrid follows in late 2012. (What is later then Dec 2012??)

I asked what kilowatt battery would be in the PHEW and he did not have an answer. I asked him if it would be a "Volt" style arrangement with the engine serving as a generator only and he answered "Yes". And, more significantly no answer on pricing. I can only believe this is going to be expensive.

Anyone know the answer to the battery size??? Will it qualify for the Electric Car Rebate???
dwf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf1
Anyone know the answer to the battery size??? Will it qualify for the Electric Car Rebate???
At the DC Auto Show they did not give a number for the battery size but the number being thrown around for all electric range on the CMAX and the Fusion Energi was 21 miles. Sounds like we are talking about a battery in 6kwh range.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

So, if I read the program correctly a 6KWH battery will receive a rebate of $2950. ($2500.00 for the threshold 5 KWH plus $450.00 for the 1KWH over 5KWH).

At 6 KWH you are getting 20+/- miles out of the electric only drive.....
dwf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Energi will have 20 (as they were talking about earlier) or 21 (as they are saying now) miles of blended EV range. This corresponds to 11 miles that Prius Plug-In has been rated at.

I think Energi will have a 8 or 9 kWh battery with 6 kWh being usable. This will allow them to have a smaller DOD and thus they can offer a long warranty as needed for CA ATPZEV certification.

This gives a tax credit between $4k and $4.5k. So, if they price Energi (C-max) around $35k, post tax credit it will be about $30k i.e. about the same as Prius Plug-In and a little cheaper than the Volt.

For Fusion Energi, they will first price the hybrid at the same level as Camry Hybrid (26k). The plugin will be about $10K more before tax credits and thus about $32k after tax credit.

All this assuming, Ford won't pull another FFE but will price them competitively.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow
Energi will have 20 (as they were talking about earlier) or 21 (as they are saying now) miles of blended EV range. This corresponds to 11 miles that Prius Plug-In has been rated at.

I think Energi will have a 8 or 9 kWh battery with 6 kWh being usable. This will allow them to have a smaller DOD and thus they can offer a long warranty as needed for CA ATPZEV certification.

This gives a tax credit between $4k and $4.5k. So, if they price Energi (C-max) around $35k, post tax credit it will be about $30k i.e. about the same as Prius Plug-In and a little cheaper than the Volt.

For Fusion Energi, they will first price the hybrid at the same level as Camry Hybrid (26k). The plugin will be about $10K more before tax credits and thus about $32k after tax credit.

All this assuming, Ford won't pull another FFE but will price them competitively.

"blended EV range" Meaning if you really stomp on it or go over x mph the engine will engage?

Old 02-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charged Up
"blended EV range" Meaning if you really stomp on it or go over x mph the engine will engage?
Yes - EPA has a separate EV rage category for such PHEVs.

update : No longer that sure. Blended could mean city+hwy as well.

http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-priu ... ng-14.html