Is The Pricing Right on the Focus EV? - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is The Pricing Right on the Focus EV?

Because Ford kept hyping their cost efficiencies many were hoping, nay even expecting that Ford would beat the Leaf on price. I think in retrospect this was not likely. Ford could charge even more and they would still sell, but let’s take a moment to compare top features and assign some sort of monetary value to each and see where we end up.

Styling – Focus EV +$1000

This is of course personal preference, but Leaf owners always say something along the lines of “it looks much better in person than in the pictures.” Not exactly a compliment. Whereas the styling on the Focus I find attractive. I think most, even Leaf owners, would agree the Focus is the better looking car. How much is that worth to you? I figure its worth at least $1000 not to have answer “why’d you buy such an ugly car” from friends, family and passersby.

Battery Thermal Regulation – Focus EV +$1000

This could end up not being important, but based on personal experience with batteries in EV operation if given a choice between air regulation, as on the Leaf, and the liquid regulation of the Ford, I would take the liquid regulation. Ford and GM both looked at this and they both decided it was worth the time and expense to develop and implement liquid regulation. I strongly question Nissan’s decision not to include this.

Standard Recharge Rate: Focus EV +$1500

Recharging is something I do everyday, often multiple times, and I will admit that I sometimes find myself stalling departure to squeeze in as much recharge time as possible. Don’t judge me. When you own an EV you may very well do the same. That said, the importance of double the recharge rate is very significant.

Fast Charge: Leaf +$500

The Leaf has it, and the Focus does not. I’m only giving +500 because fast charge is not something you use everyday. Being in Virginia my fast charge options are nil at this point. If you are in California this might be more important. The SAE adopted a fast charge standard that the Leaf is not compatible with and this calls into question the future functionality of the Leafs fast charge system. Adapters might solve the issue.

Dashboard: Focus +$500

We don’t know if Ford will be any better a guesstimating range than the Leaf, but the Ford appears to have more bells and whistles by far.

Interior Space: Leaf +500

The battery box on the Focus does eat into the already limited trunk space. The front seats felt comparable on the two, but the back seats on the Leaf definitely felt easier to access and roomier.

If I've done the math right the Focus EV adds $3000 in value based on the above. And Ford has indeed priced the Focus EV about $3000 to $4000 more than the Leaf depending on options. Some will no doubt ditch the Focus based solely on price. For me personally Ford is just about at the limit of the premium I am personally willing to pay for the Focus. Much higher than what they are at and I would be thinking I can live with frog like appearances and take the risk that air regulation will work out ok.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Is The Pricing Right on the Focus EV?

The price penalty is probably to stiff for me to justify. I was really hoping it would be the same or just a bit higher than the Leaf. With the compromised storage space and higher price I'm having a hard time rationalizing the Focus. I'm bummed.
San_Carlos_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm disappointed too. I've been holding off on getting rid of my Crown Victoria so I could buy one of these. I was expecting a more reasonable price. Any word on A Plan discount availability (I doubt it)?

The Focus Electric is the only car that appeals to me in the Ford lineup. Being in a Ford family, it's strange to say it, but my next car purchase probably won't be a Ford.
focus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Going a step further here: If they don't offer an A-Plan lease then I won't be getting it either (although since I like the Focus in general I may fall back to just a regular ICE version if anything--That spiffy RS version is really appealing ).

jmueller065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

No! No! No!

Disaster in terms of pricing and totally inexcusable unless Ford simply wants to kill the "Ford option" for BEV choice.

I am sorry to rebut the "value estimation" that opens this topic, but I do agree that the Ford Focus EV looks better than the Leaf, however the 2012 Leaf has heated seats and a fully temperature protected battery pack which is LARGER (by 1 kw) than the Ford's. Nissan offers "Glacier Pearl" as a standard color where Ford wants $400 for this shading as a color option. The Leaf, as noted has more room inside, and is $5000 LESS ! Further, the Mitsubishi "i" which has a distinctive design (which I like better than the Leaf) can be had for less than $20,000 in California after state and federal incentives. For a city or commuter car, I would get the Mitsubishi without hesitation compared to either the Leaf or the Ford for 2012.

The Ford website, which I configured the car comparable to a Leaf came out with about a $800/month LEASE. The lease on our 2011 fully loaded Nissan Leaf is $407/month.

Yes, our family cars now are t he 2011 Nissan Leaf and the 2011 Chevy Volt. The Ford Focus EV at the pricing announced is an absolute debacle in terms of promoting EV choices in this country.
geo241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo241
No! No! No!

Disaster in terms of pricing and totally inexcusable unless Ford simply wants to kill the "Ford option" for BEV choice.
...The Ford Focus EV at the pricing announced is an absolute debacle in terms of promoting EV choices in this country.

Geo I totally understand how you feel. All of the EVs that are coming out will be introduced in low volume as manufacturers prove to themselves that a) the technology works and b) the processes for validating it and building it are correct.

Because the volume is low and the demand high they know they can basically charge whatever they want, at least initially.

Do I like it ...no! But the reality is that until the volume is there they are probably losing money on these cars, so if they lower the price, dealers will probably just take advantage and sell over MSRP.

When these things are being produced by the tens of thousands each month by multiple manufacturers then we will see the prices drop.

The Focus EV is not $5k over the Leaf. I think you left out destination charges for the Leaf. On the high side it is $4k, to a little less than$ 3k depending on how you spec it out with options.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

But what about the Mitsubishi "i" model? Sure it does have a smaller battery pack, but it should still be highly functional for many as an urban commuter and it has a base MSRP of around $29,200?

For me, if I did not already have the Leaf, I would opt for the Mitsubishi way before I would ever consider the Focus at the current pricing level for it (though I also like the Ford styling better than the Leaf).
geo241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charged Up
The Focus EV is not $5k over the Leaf. I think you left out destination charges for the Leaf. On the high side it is $4k, to a little less than$ 3k depending on how you spec it out with options.
I expected FFE to be priced about 3K more than Leaf. So the current 4K over Leaf SV - is not that much off.

But the problem is the price point - $40k.

Considering FFE is domenstic and don't have Nissan's forex problems, why does it cost 15K more than a similarly equipped Focus ? Afterall, Ford has been telling us they can make this cheap since it shares the cost with Focus ICE.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just for another point of view......

Quote:
Styling
: Focus EV +$500

I do like the 'look' of the Focus EV, but IMHO the color choices leave a lot to be desired...I want a RED car! I give some to the Focus for the leather seat option.

Quote:
Battery Thermal Regulation
: Even

As EVNOW has pointed out, the Focus has thermal regulation because it needs to. In my mind, there is all the real world evidence right now that the Leaf's air regulation works as the experience of Leaf owners this summer has shown. There is still some concern over longevity, but I think the trade-off of that risk vs. having one less thing to go wrong makes this a wash.

Quote:
Standard Recharge Rate
Focus EV +$500

Sure this is nice to have, but I do not think it matters all that much, especially considering the lack of charging infrastructure. I will be doing all my charging at home...and whether my car is fully charged by 2 in the morning or 6 in the morning it just does not matter that much to me. On rare occasions I will take the ICE on an errand or two if the EV is not charged enough...figure $500 will be plenty to cover the gas costs for those occasions.

Quote:
Fast Charge
: Leaf +$100

Not enough fast chargers to make this matter all that much.

Quote:
Dashboard
: ????

Really have no idea. I know some Leaf owners are unhappy with the guesstimeter, but I see a fair number of my touch complaints also. Personally, I like simple and neither of these vehicles seem to offer that.

Quote:
Interior Space
: Leaf + 1500

This is evidently a bigger deal to me than to Charged up....but I need that trunk space for my Hockey Gear dang-nabbit.

Quote:
And I will add one more item - 2nd model year vehicle vs. 1st model year vehicle
: Leaf +400

Just think a 2nd year vehicle will have more of the bugs worked out.

If I've done my math right the Leaf has about $1k more value than the Focus...So the answer to the original question for me is no, the price is NOT rigtht [/quote]
Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

In a word, disappointing!

The suggested retail price for the 2011 Chevrolet Volt in the U.S. starts at US$40,280 before the US$7,500 U.S. federal tax credit and additional incentives are available in some locations. The 2012 Volt base price will be US$1,005 less than the 2011 model, as the base configuration has been defeatured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt

Certainly, the FFE should be priced closer to the Leaf than to the Volt! GM knew that their biggest obstacle with an electric car was trip planning issues (range anxiety). They got around that with the gas engine back-up. So for the same price, you can buy an electric car with 80 miles til you call for a toe, or an electric (mostly) car with 35 miles, but you can drive it anywhere you want, in the country.

Where I live, I would be taking a chance to drive the FFE downtown to Chicago, and back( about 70 miles. And I gladly would in the FFE, except for the price

Ok, I still may, but I don't like that price, and now, I certainly won't be the first one in line!

And, as Hobbit said, the trunk room can be a deal killer. I had a friend who preferred the Fusion hybrid, but the small trunk killed the deal. So, every time space is an issue, the Leaf will win the deal.