Pricing, pricing, pricing - Page 5 - Ford Focus Electric Forum
» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #41 (permalink)

Default Re: Pricing, pricing, pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmueller065
The general consensus around here is that BSquared just got in way over their heads and underbid the project (e.g. they didn't know what they were getting into and thus underbid).
That happens a lot with software vendors. They bid very less with the hope (knowledge ?) that they will be retained after the project to maintain it.This assures them a steady revenue stream. We can't also rule out the scope creep & frequent requirement changes that derailed the project.

All this is "business as usual" in normal applications. But as I said, this won't be tolerated in cars. We need and expect a much higher level of quality.

BTW, I should note that Nissan's online ordering software vendor messed up big time too. The site has been so buggy it messed up so many orders and even mis-sorted them for production. When will these companies learn that a few dollars they save is going to cause them major pain ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #42 (permalink)

We've had the 2011 Edge with MFT for just about a year now. For the most part I still love it, but I'm not the primary driver of the vehicle.

For my wife, whose car it is, she gets a bit bothered by the issues as she has had to face them daily on her commute--although since we just got the car all fixed she may be happy with it again as her largest gripe with it wasn't about MFT at all (we had a memory seat issue that wasn't really mentioned in the Edge Forum).

Using the voice navigation is nice: There have been a few instances where I was able to completely setup a route via speaking. This is most successful when you're looking for a well known place and not attempting to speak an address (we find it much easier to just pull over and type the darn address in in those cases).

My favorite part about it is how the bluetooth works: When I'm listening to something from my phone via bluetooth and stop to go shopping, etc. it manages to pause the audio and pick it up again exactly where it left off when I start the car back up (I know this sounds like a simple thing but it really is nice not having to reselect the input on the radio, reconnect the device, etc. All things I have to do in my truck since it doesn't have Sync and I have to use a wired connection to the radio).

In addition, having that year of experience with MFT just makes me more excited about the MFT implementation in the FFE with the additional screens for battery range, and the customized display...

jmueller065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #43 (permalink)

I can't remember where I read the information about the dual stage assembly, but I do remember it being brought up in an article about Fords expected very small production numbers for the Focus Electric, at least initially.

If they are serious about electric then they will inevitably have to ramp up to the point where there is a dedicated line for the car or the car is being built side by side with the ICE versions of the Focus in Michigan.

The bottom line though is that all of this hand wringing about the price doesn't change the fact that there is a huge demand for these giant "golf carts" (as my friends like to call it) and there will be no need for Ford to discount it at all until the $7500 federal tax credit starts to dry up, which will take quite some time since they have to hit 200,000 cars sold before the tax credit drops to 50%.
kjqinjiang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2011, 04:09 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjqinjiang
The bottom line though is that all of this hand wringing about the price doesn't change the fact that there is a huge demand for these giant "golf carts" (as my friends like to call it) and there will be no need for Ford to discount it at all until the $7500 federal tax credit starts to dry up, which will take quite some time since they have to hit 200,000 cars sold before the tax credit drops to 50%.
I don't think this will be the case. Currently the market is limited to EV enthusiasts - who are mostly price conscious (otherwise they get Model S). At current prices (35 to 40K), neither Leaf nor FEV will sell more than 2K cars a month.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow
Quote:
At current prices (35 to 40K), neither Leaf nor FEV will sell more than 2K cars a month.

That's is interesting speculation, since the Nissan and GM have ratcheted up production to 5k+ per month. We'll see just how deep is the early adapter pool.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charged Up
Quote:
Quote:
At current prices (35 to 40K), neither Leaf nor FEV will sell more than 2K cars a month.
That's is interesting speculation, since the Nissan and GM have ratcheted up production to 5k+ per month. We'll see just how deep is the early adapter pool.
Actually Nissan can't sell 5k per month till TN plant opens. Ofcourse, I didn't include the hybrids.

I don't think Volt can sell 5k+ per month either - at 40k+ price. For comparison, BMW sold 15K cars last month. I don't think Volt can sell a 3rd of the whole BMW sales.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:

I don't think Volt can sell 5k+ per month either - at 40k+ price. For comparison, BMW sold 15K cars last month. I don't think Volt can sell a 3rd of the whole BMW sales.

Seems unlikely, however, a significant portion of the early buyers were people trading in their Beamers.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote