6 Weeks From Order to Deliver? - Ford Focus Electric Forum
» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 6 Weeks From Order to Deliver?

In this article from PC Mag we have this:

Quote:
Ford hasn't disclosed the price of the Focus Electric, nor is it disclosing its production numbers, Tinskey said Instead, buyers will walk into a Ford dealership and order the Ford Focus Electric, then wait six weeks for it to be manufactured and delivered.
That's fairly quick compared to what we are seeing with the Volt and Leaf.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390856,00.asp

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 6 Weeks From Order to Deliver?

Quote:
The SunPower/Ford charger lacks any sort of battery, SunPower executives said; instead, the system feeds electricity to the grid during the day, when it is needed most; at night, the electrical grid itself charges the car, but at a lower cost for the consumer.
Interesting, I would think that the user would just get "credit" for the power fed into the system during the day (e.g. the users meter theoretically runs backwards during the day and then forwards again at night when the vehicle is charging). In addition, given the timing and pricing: The power fed to the grid during the day would be "credited" at a higher rate than the electricity consumed at night? (Yeah I know wishful thinking but hey!)

jmueller065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmueller065
Interesting, I would think that the user would just get "credit" for the power fed into the system during the day (e.g. the users meter theoretically runs backwards during the day and then forwards again at night when the vehicle is charging). In addition, given the timing and pricing: The power fed to the grid during the day would be "credited" at a higher rate than the electricity consumed at night? (Yeah I know wishful thinking but hey!)
It depends on your power company whether you can Sell durring the day and Buy during the night (Time of Use meter); not the solar installer.

For example, it'll cost me $5 extra a month to get a Time of Use meter. I'm not sure if it'll be worth the extra stress on me - the 'off' times are 11 pm to 5 am. I don't feel like changing all of my life patterns now that I have solar.

We'll see though, I plan to re-access the costs and power/time ratios in a few months once I have data to compare with.
travisty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmueller065
Quote:
The SunPower/Ford charger lacks any sort of battery, SunPower executives said; instead, the system feeds electricity to the grid during the day, when it is needed most; at night, the electrical grid itself charges the car, but at a lower cost for the consumer.

Actually, that is theoretically how it would work, your meter might run backwards during the day, and only forward once the Sun goes down.

But here in VA there are some caveats. I cannot generate more power than I use, on an annual basis. Why? Cause that is how Dominion Power wants it. Also, I can only use the power on building where the Solar PVs are installed and receive full credit. For example, I have a meter on a separate garage and a meter on my house. The garage uses very little power but the roof is properly oriented to maximize solar panel use. The house uses lots of energy but the roof is oriented poorly for solar. I can not use energy generated on the garage to offset use on the house. Why you ask, because that is exactly how Dominion Power wants it... that's why.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote