USA TODAY - FORD SAYS NO DELAY - Page 3 - Ford Focus Electric Forum
» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default Re: USA TODAY - FORD SAYS NO DELAY

Ok, forget it.... I just read it expects to be in the $30K-$37K range....

You know, there must be some reason why these little cars have to be priced out of most lower-to-middle-income family's budgets.

WHY $30 grand++????

A brand new Ford Focus SE is 10K LESS than that, with the options too-- 'as shown'-- on http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/ ....

It gets up to the high 30's in MPG---not too bad for today's cars.... I suppose I simply need to go out and make more money. I swear they could get more than double the sales if they halved their sale price for the EV...... Give us less fancy 'doo-dads' and lower the price, for pete's sake. $30K?? I would rather go out and buy my favorite 1988 Ferrari 308 GTSI for that amount. And get one in great shape too!!! I only drive 3-400 miles a month.... electric-shmetric...

I just don't know........
miamisunray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #22 (permalink)

The only good point I can see in justifying the expense would be the almost zero cost of charging it. I figure it would cost me about $5 a month to drive the thing 400 miles, which is more than I do. I can always rent a car to drive to, say, Key West and that would be cheaper than using my 1995 Jeep which gets 16.9 miles to the gallon!! .... It would cost me $60 in gas there and back. I could rent a compact car for $20 plus insurance and gas and that would almost be the same!....

Well, I hope it is lower than they say. I think $30+ K is too much... They should be thinking of losing a bit of money on the startup and attracting a whole ton of customers.. Not too sure if that is even a legitimate business model, but for an emerging technology it might just help to move things along... plus blow the others out of the water. I bet you (unbeknownst to us all) that there is a conspiracy between these car manufacturers to keep the pricing 'even'. I can't claim to understand it.... maybe one of you knows what's going on "behind closed door'??/

You have 2 lemonade stands. Both sell the same product and both had to pick or buy the lemons, squeeze them (hand or electric??) set up the stand... fancy or not?.. and sell lemons. I would go to the cheaper stand.... I just want lemonade
miamisunray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamisunray

You know, there must be some reason why these little cars have to be priced out of most lower-to-middle-income family's budgets.

WHY $30 grand++????
All new technologies are expensive. The first computers cost more than a house. Now? A few hundred dollars will get you a web surfing PC. The early adopters are in the higher income bracket; it's just how it works. Wait 3-5 years and you should see cars in the 20K range. Heck The I-Miev is alreay there @ 28k.

P.S. That FF SE you mentioned looks nice now. In 5 years when gas is $5+ / gal we'll see how 'cheap' it seems. Not meant to be degrading, just pointing out a fact. The resale value of non-hybrid cars is going to drop toward $0 in the near future.
travisty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamisunray

WHY $30 grand++????

A brand new Ford Focus SE is 10K LESS than that, with the options too-- 'as shown'-- on http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/ ....

It gets up to the high 30's in MPG---not too bad for today's cars.... I suppose I simply need to go out and make more money. I swear they could get more than double the sales if they halved their sale price for the EV...... Give us less fancy 'doo-dads' and lower the price, for pete's sake. $30K?? I would rather go out and buy my favorite 1988 Ferrari 308 GTSI for that amount. And get one in great shape too!!! I only drive 3-400 miles a month.... electric-shmetric...

I just don't know........
The Prius is over $25K with a few options and it has a very low capacity NiMh battery pack. The batteries on the Ford or Nissan cost something like $15-$20K alone, let alone the cost of the rest of the car, and with high demand among higher income professionals for these vehicles there is no reason that the manufacturers should start a charity and give them away for less than they cost to build.

The stimulation for the sale of these cars is coming from State and Federal government. Don't forget that there is a $7500 tax CREDIT (not deduction) on your Federal taxes if you buy an EV or plug in hybrid before the manufacturer builds 200,000 of them. Additionally several states have local tax credits.

Colorado, from what I understand has a $6500 credit which will be stepping down each year starting in 2012. If I get $5,000 from Colorado and $7500 from the Federalis then the actual cost for me to buy a $38K plug in Focus would be about $25K after taxes, which is a STEAL for a car that I never have to put gas in and can do the most minimal of maintenance on.
voip-ninja is offline   Reply With Quote