Ford Focus Electric Delayed - except in CA, NY - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ford Focus Electric Delayed - except in CA, NY

Looks like Focus EV will only launch in CA & NY. In rest of the states it is delayed to Spring of 2012. Also explains the flyers being sent saying launching in '12 Spring.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5125

Quote:
For the first few months of production, we will be concentrating on California and New York. Our dealers in those areas will be the first to have their retail orders scheduled and receive the Focus Electric. We will be rolling out to the remainder of our initial markets starting in Spring 2012, including Raleigh/Durham.

Does that help?

David Finnegan
Electrified Vehicles Marketing Manager, Ford Motor Company
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Ford Focus Electric Delayed - except in CA, NY

Disappointing, but not surprising based on the lack of information flow from Ford. Doesn't look like the Focus will beat the Leaf to market anywhere...although it could still be close in New York...with Nissan set to start the ordering process "Fall 2011".

It will be interesting to see what Ford means by 'spring' 2012. That could be June.

Time for a "Crisis at Ford" thread?
Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not sure there is a crisis at Ford--they are probably working just fine to plan. Its all of us who are eagerly anticipating this new product that are in crisis mode! LOL

jmueller065 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmueller065
Not sure there is a crisis at Ford--they are probably working just fine to plan. Its all of us who are eagerly anticipating this new product that are in crisis mode! LOL
He 'Crisis at Ford' comment was in response to the 'Crisis at Nissan' thread started a few months ago which I felt was overly critical of issues Nissan had with slipping deliver schedules and communications issues.
Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

There is no crisis at Ford, it's simply supply and demand. To date our demand for the non-electric Focus far outweighs the supply. Ford and most of it's suppliers are working 6 10's on that vehicle alone. Remember automakers are trying to find that fine line of supply these days. They don't want dealers lots to be overloaded with product and this being a new product (Focus) they need to see the markets response. I could sell 1-2 Focus a day for the next 30 days if I had them.

Being in Michigan I can drive past the Michigan Assembly Plant (Focus plant) and see the rail cars and trucks being loaded. They are doing their best to get this vehicles to market and the same will be true with the EF. Trust me if Alan Mulally could wave a magic wand, these would be sitting on dealers lots TODAY!
Matt@VarsityFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbit
Disappointing, but not surprising based on the lack of information flow from Ford. Doesn't look like the Focus will beat the Leaf to market anywhere...although it could still be close in New York...with Nissan set to start the ordering process "Fall 2011".

It will be interesting to see what Ford means by 'spring' 2012. That could be June.

If Ford had announced that they were going to deliver 20k cars the first year and was coming back 3 months after rollout to say well, we really meant 10k. And if they were announcing that the next model year will have a charger twice as big, and then came back a few weeks after that and said well not the next MY but the one after that because we are already committed to "X" amount of the 3.3kw chargers...and then if Ford came back shortly after that and said, "well even though we have said repeatedly our very special battery does not require thermal management, we have decided at the very least to put on some heater strips." And if Ford had "fixed" a potential overheating of the battery problem by putting in language to the warranty that makes no range guarantee and that specifically voids the warranty if the battery is exposed to 120f for more than 24 hours. And if Ford had taken money from people and 1 year later there was no hope in sight of said person getting a vehicle then yes I would be writing you a "Crisis at Ford" post. And I won't even bring up the AC issue keeping the car from starting issue.

This simply is not the right way to launch the vehicle. The Leaf is a good car that does what it purports to do. But the charger is undersized, and it needs liquid thermal regulation on the battery.

As for Ford. Ford never said we are going to launch in all 19 cities at once, at least that I read/heard. It was to be expected that certain cities areas would be selected first. And Ford has remained quiet about actual numbers which makes it pretty easy not to blow hitting that number, probably the smarter thing to do.

People are stewing about not having info, but not as bad as they would be stewing if Ford had taken $99 bucks from them, and then let them sit on a list and watch "deadline" after "deadline" slip by with seemingly nothing happen.

So right now, I would say, so far Ford is doing exactly what they said they would do, "rollout the FE at the end of 2011."

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Matt: I live about 2 miles from the Focus plant, I practically drive by there daily...

Oh yeah here is another article about it

jmueller065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post

I agree with you. it's really disappointing. Thanks for share.
lina52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina52 View Post
I agree with you. it's really disappointing. Thanks for share.
You do realize that this was last year and that they have been delivered and on sale for months now.
leemell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemell View Post
You do realize that this was last year and that they have been delivered and on sale for months now.
True BUT, the best we can tell (at least through public sources), they've only sold about 133 in total to date (link below tracked June/July sales and then we heard that another 6 were delivered to Google very early in the production run) so no great shakes yet even though this thread is a year old and why the decrease from 89 to 38 already! Would have thought there was at least a few hundred pre-orders in queue ---

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopi...6eed85f925df27
redEV is offline   Reply With Quote