Ford Focus Electric coming Spring 2012? - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ford Focus Electric coming Spring 2012?

Lately there have been ads showing the Ford Focus Electric with the words "Coming Spring 2012." Some are wondering if Ford is pushing back the launch date. As recently as last week Ford confirmed that they are still on track to launch the Focus EV at the end of this year.

I believe the ads are an effort to temper expectations amongst consumers about when they might realistically be able to order the Focus EV. People who buy high end vehicles are accustomed to the idea of waiting for a car. But many who are considering stepping into some sort of electrified car are not accustomed to this notion that you do not just waltz down to the dealer and pickup one whenever you feel like it.

Nissan took a great deal of flack with its reservation system, because once people plunk down their money they get eager to see some action. And GM for its part has done a better job but there was still some dissatisfaction with the ordering process, much of which had to do with long waits between ordering and when the car was actually produced and delivered. Helping to alleviate some of that frustration on the GM side was an independent website that allowed buyers to view exactly where their vehicle was in the process. Ford would do well to replicate this kind of thing, which is a way of communicating with the customer and assuring them that everything is on track as they eagerly anticipate the arrival of their groundbreaking new ride.

Moves by Ford to ratchet back expectations are in order. Looking at Ford's Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/FordElectricVehicles one can already find comments from fans who are very eager to have the car, and whose comments are already laced with some frustration about not having price or availability information. Customers mad because they can't get your car is a good problem to have... for a time.

With any new model there is a slow production ramp up, but with a revolutionary vehicle, with a completely different powertrain, it would be foolish for any manufacturer not to ramp up production very carefully to insure the safety and reliability of the vehicles being produced. Which means most early adopters should realistically be thinking Spring 2012 or even later before they might really have the opportunity to get a Focus EV.

http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-lat ... pping-out/

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Ford Focus Electric coming Spring 2012?

What is interesting about their Facebook feed is that they recently posted a picture under the hood. From the photo it looked very much like it was production ready (at this point, if "Late 2011" is to believed they better be production ready!).

Unfortunately, I can't link to the photo but it is in their wall photos (currently the last one): here. As usual many of the comments are "when can I buy one?"

jmueller065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Ford Focus Electric coming Spring 2012?

Yes, I really thought the Ford Focus EV would be the first to market here in Chicago (still a launch city) but it now looks like the Nissan LEAF will beat it -- I've been on the pre-reg' list for a LEAF since day one (4/20/10) and was able to place an order yesterday which I did -- Nissan says I should get the car within 3 or 4 months so we'll see. I'm still very much interested in the Focus EV as I think they did a better styling job (starting to see new ICE versions around town a lot more) but as it appears that Ford can sell every new Focus they make the incentive for getting the EV version to market has to be low on their list.
redEV is offline   Reply With Quote