What the Leaf's Price Increase Means For the Focus EV - Page 3 - Ford Focus Electric Forum
» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default Re: What the Leaf's Price Increase Means For the Focus EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charged Up
I conclude that Nissan is rolling the dice. Look at all of the things they have "reconsidered" including belatedly adding heat for the battery.
That makes little sense. Nobody rolls a dice when investing 4 Billion Euros. They aren't investing a few 100 million like Ford. They would have all the accelerated aging data they need to figure out how the batteries will behave. Considering the reports out of AZ, I'm sure they are right.

You are over emphasizing a minor battery heater that comes on only when the temperature reaches below 14 degrees F. BTW, Nissan had talked about this & the heated seats etc earlier, but they delayed the introduction of the features.

I think you don't understand the magnitude of this project - or you are assuming Nissan is full of duds.

Quote:
The numbers of cars in those trials is comparable to what Ford and GM have played with in the 70s, 80s and 90s. For all intents and purposes all the OEMs are starting out on level playing field, although that is quickly changing.
No - Ford and GM didn't touch Lithium till recently. That is why they had to import the batteries from Korea - not make it inhouse.
I think Nissan will get it right soon enough, but clearly all the changes they have already had to make speaknfor themselves. We didn't see GM have to change their charger size in the next model year, or belatedly add heater strips forntheir battery and most importantly, Nissan's battery warranty is basic meaningless without a range guarantee. I suspect they will honor the warranty, but as it is crafted they have many outs.

Nissan and Toyota are both in talks to acquire battery cells from Korean firms, so yes I stand by comment that the playing field is level.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement