Driving the 2012 Focus - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 04:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Driving the 2012 Focus

To get a sense of what the Ford Focus Electric might drive like I took a test drive in a gas based Ford Focus yesterday.

I want to give props to my local dealer Bowditch Ford for understanding that I am not interested in an ICE based car, and not trying to steer me towards something I do not want.

As expected the Focus handles very well. That said it does not handle as well as the Volt. The main short coming was roll, especially in a tight turn. But and this is a big but, keep in mind that this the ICE based version, 400-500 lbs of battery weight centered and low might help that issue, and it was not enough of an issue that it would deter me from getting the car.

On the plus side, visibility through the front of the vehicle is decidedly better in the Focus, than the Volt. Probably because of the smaller A pillar, but also it feels as though you are closer to the windshield than in the Volt. Perhaps there is less rake to the Focus windshield.

Also, the Focus has a blind spot mirror built into the side view mirror, which is nice because visibility out the back of the Focus and the Volt is “challenged.”

Another nice feature on the Focus is that when your cell phone is connected through Bluetooth it shows which phone is actually connected and what the signal strength is. The advantage of this is if both my wife and I get in the car we would be able to see which person’s phone is actually connected. On the signal strength it says you from having to pull the phone out to see if there is enough signal to make a call.

Being a hatchback the rear cargo area of the Focus is spacious. If having your items covered is not important, removing the cargo area cover will buy you some height space.

Of course one could rightly argue the Focus and the Volt are intended for two very different needs. So a batter comparison would be between the Focus and the Leaf.

All in all, I saw nothing on the test ride that would keep me from getting a Focus, and the styling is very sharp.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (48.4 KB, 750 views)
File Type: jpg rear hatch.jpg (38.7 KB, 750 views)
File Type: jpg three quarter.jpg (59.8 KB, 750 views)
Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Driving the 2012 Focus

I should also note that the back seats felt roomier than in the Focus, and were easier to get into and out of, but at 6'3" not a place I would want to spend alot of time in either vehicle.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the review and photos ... I plan to do the same soon. I also checked out a Fiat 500 Sport which will also have an EV version some time next year. One important difference between the ICE and EV Focus is actually the cargo room -- the battery pack takes up a large amount of cargo space between the backseat backrest and cargo area (link to photo below). I've only seen photos as they pulled the EV from the Chicago Auto Show before I could see it in person. The '12 Focus is supposed to be quite a bit better than the '11; more of a world car, so should have better handling and better ergonomics. I just hope that Ford gets more definitive as to when the 'target cities' (Chicago is among them) can expect it as well as where it will be priced compared to the LEAF.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/f...-battery-junk/
redEV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redEV
Thanks for the review and photos ... I plan to do the same soon. I also checked out a Fiat 500 Sport which will also have an EV version some time next year. One important difference between the ICE and EV Focus is actually the cargo room -- the battery pack takes up a large amount of cargo space between the backseat backrest and cargo area (link to photo below). I've only seen photos as they pulled the EV from the Chicago Auto Show before I could see it in person. The '12 Focus is supposed to be quite a bit better than the '11; more of a world car, so should have better handling and better ergonomics. I just hope that Ford gets more definitive as to when the 'target cities' (Chicago is among them) can expect it as well as where it will be priced compared to the LEAF.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/f...-battery-junk/
Yup the batteries definitely subtract from the cargo area, and worst of all negate some of the utility of being able to fold down rear seats to put in longer stuff like, skis, hockey sticks, golf clubs.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

ChargedUp said:

Quote:
I should also note that the back seats felt roomier than in the Focus, and were easier to get into and out of, but at 6'3" not a place I would want to spend alot of time in either vehicle.
Since there were several comparisons to the Volt earlier, am I correct to assume you mean "the backseats of the Volt felt roomier than in the Focus"?
FocusSkeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusSkeptic
ChargedUp said:

Quote:
Since there were several comparisons to the Volt earlier, am I correct to assume you mean "the backseats of the Volt felt roomier than in the Focus"?

Thanks for pointing that out, I actually was trying to say it felt roomier in the Focus. I think it is because the seat is physically higher and more level, at least that was my perception. The Volt rear seat is really low and more steeply angled.