Ford says this is Normal - 16 hours on Level 2 for 51%?? - Ford Focus Electric Forum
» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Ford says this is Normal - 16 hours on Level 2 for 51%??

My high capacity battery pack died in November with the infamous "leak". Ford replaced it with a refurbished battery pack. Now the thing takes over 24 hours to charge on a Level 2 charger (7.2kw charger). FORD SAYS THIS IS NORMAL. They've had my car for over a month now, replaced the battery charging module and topped off the coolent. That's it. Since it shows no codes, Ford says they are done. Anyone experience this? Charging stops after about 45 minutes, then starts and stops only peaking about 1.2kw for the remaining charge to 100% which takes hours and hours.
See attached screenshot. FORD SAYS THIS IS NORMAL FOR A LEVEL 2 CHARGE. 14-1/2 hours for 51%?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1956.jpg (60.1 KB, 4 views)
ffoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

What were your charging times with the old battery? Certainly some differences would be expected, but I wouldn't be happy in your situation...
QuandAns42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Angry Ford warranty worthless...

Charging times before battery replacement
2.5 hours from 10% to 100% full charge on level 2 charger. Average about 6.9kw per hour.

After replacement:
18 hours from 10% to 100% full charge on level 2 charger. Average about 1.2kw per hour.

Ford says it is normal. AUTO BBB refused the claim. Twice.

I'm done with Ford. I've owned over 2 dozen Ford's in my lifetime and have never been treated this way by Ford service. They obviously do not understand electric cars nor do they want to understand them.

My next car will be a Tesla. Clearly they 'get it.'

Old 04-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

That's not normal of course. Takes about 4 hours max on a Level 2, and I charge mine on a low-watts 120v Level 1 charger for about 18 hours max.

Have you tried @Ford on Twitter? I got attention that way. Phone customer service was no help, but the Twitter tweet I sent out got me some attention and a "Case Number" with Ford corporate. Dealerships can be weird, so our only hope is Ford corporate. Hope anyway.

When you mention the "leak", do you mean the coolant leak into the battery pack? There was a Technical Service Bulletin TSB 20-2004 that addressed it.
wattstogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip. I did try tweeting @Ford again yesterday but still no reply.

Yes, there was a coolant leak into the lower battery pack, they said. Although the TSB you mention, I did have that problem before with the SSN light but they only replaced the cable and never the battery. (They did this 3 times before it finally stopped.) That was about a year and a half ago. This time, I got the wrench light which indicated take in for service ASAP. It wouldn't go off, just stayed on. No SSN light. That's when they said the battery leaked and replaced it.