Hypermiling the FFE? - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hypermiling the FFE?

As the proud papa of a 2013 FFE, I'm interested in the quirks of the car and tips from other members on how to get the best "gas" mileage out of the car. As a former Prius driver, I find the FFE's energy usage display to be usable but not quite as straightforward as the Prius. I could regularly get 65+mpg in the Prius and 40+ in my Camry Hybrid and really loved the challenge of maximizing efficiency.

Other than "use the defroster sparingly", what are Focus Electric owners' top driving tips for maximizing mileage (reducing Wh/mile?)
JoshRoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

Speed is the key to getting the most out of a single charge. It turns out the slower you go the farther you go. I found out that speeds above 45 MPH do eat up the battery pack more quickly. Yes leaving the climate control off will help significantly. Since the defrosters draw over 5 kw when running. In cold weather cycle the defrosters on only when needed, or open the window a little. To stay warm use the heated seats instead. These use less energy. The cold will also reduce the available charge in the battery by about 10 to 15%. Some of the skills learned from hypermiling will help increase the distance you can travel. Trying to coast as much as possible, and letting your speed drop a little as you crest a hill will all help. Use the brakes little as reasonably possible. Using the vehicles momentum to propel the car forward is more efficient then using the regenerative breaking system. Keeping aerodynamic and rolling resistance to minimum will help you go further.

Last edited by JeffAnd; 03-13-2013 at 08:47 PM.
JeffAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, definitely found that it's hard to get great WattHr/mile ratings when doing highway miles. My daily commute is 13 miles each way of rolling 40+mph hills with just a few stops at each end and I've been able to consistently get around 220WHr/mile even in 30 degree temps (~150MPGe.) I quickly learned that the seat heaters, a hat and gloves were my friend, or a worst-case "pulse & glide" with the heat/defroster.

Speaking of pulse & glide, though it doesn't sound like it will help much (http://www.metrompg.com/posts/mpg-miscellany.htm#pulse) but I'm still interested in finding a lonely stretch of flat terrain to determine exactly how much it *could* help.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Pulled 195 whr/mile for one leg of my normal ~11 mile commute the other day in 40deg weather. Now working on a slight tweak to my route... and waiting for warmer temps!

That works out to 178mpge according to the gov't calculations (or 138mpge wall-to-wheels w/ Level 1 charger assuming ~25% losses.)

There has to be a better way to compare efficiency EV-to-EV, driving style to driving style (and EV-to-ICE.) Miles/KWhr, WHr/mile, MPGe...