Why you should not use extension cord when recharging? - Ford Focus Electric Forum
» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default Why you should not use extension cord when recharging?

You should not use extension cord when recharging.
In the owner’s manual it warns against using extension cord when using 120 volt charging cord.
Here are some the reason why not to use an extension cord with the 120 volt convenience charging cord.

1) Not all extension cords are made to handle an 11.5 amp continuous load. This requires a 14ga or 12ga cord to safely power this heavy of load. Lighter duty 16ga and 18ga extension cords are more common. These lighter gauge cords will run hotter and will present a fire hazard.

2) Not all extension cords have the third grounding pin. Not having this ground connection increases the risk of electrical shock. If also may cause the GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) built into the charging cord not trip during a ground fault.

3) Extension cords not plugged into a GFI outlet could cause an electrical shock. This could happen if the cord gets wet or is damaged. This could pose a potential shock hazard. The GFI in the charging cord only provides protection for any vehicle that is plugged into it.

4) Longer cords also increase the chance of someone tripping.

5) Long cords will also reduce the voltage level at the car.

If you must use an extension cord make sure it is used in a dry location, and it has a grounding pin. It should be a heavy gauge cord, and be as short as possible. This means no 100 foot extension cords. The plug connection must be tight. If the plug or extension cord gets warm, discontinue charging immediately.
JeffAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey I'm ready to plug in my FFE, I think I've got a spot right there...

jmueller065 is offline   Reply With Quote