Strange Battery Life? - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Strange Battery Life?

Yesterday morning, after a full charge (120V), I got into my 2012 FFE and noticed that the range was 62 miles--usually, it's between 72 and 80). I drove about 10 miles, then plugged it in at a different location (120V), and after a full charge, it reported again, 62 miles.

This morning, after a full night of charging (still 120V), it says 62 miles...

Has anyone else experienced this? I have not had a chance to plug it into a 240V charging station to see if it "tops it off".
greatmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

I should note that the heater & A/C and all accessories were off.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

The faster you drive the less the range the car will have. This is especially true of speeds above 55 mph. Inefficient driving habits can significantly reduce range. Also cold temperatures will reduce the driving range. This could be rather significant at temperatures below the freezing point.
JeffAnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Even when my average Wh/mi is below 250, it stays low. I like in Southern California--it hasn't been much below 50F.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Leaving the climate control off will improve the range. Since you have climate control off, the next step would be to try and use a 220 volt charging station. This could be a public charging, or one at the Ford dealership. This could be interesting to see if this makes a difference.
JeffAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, that is with climate control off. I haven't had a chance to try a 240V station yet. I'll post here with my findings!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Have had a Siemens 240V charger for a few days now and have not noticed a range pattern change. It is quite variable regardless of power source. Drives my wife crazy to not have a simple range display, too much adjustments for heater and hills for her to be comfortable with the information feedback system. She loves the quiet and efficiency in general but doesn't want a car with what appears to be extreme variability in driving range. I think of it like a game and am used to trying to maxamize a powersource (I usually drive a diesel) She doesn't want to work at maximizing a limited capacity powersource.
yakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

I live in Southern California as well and have the same issue. Mine varies from 64-67 miles, but that is with 250-260 Wh/mile. I would think it should show close to 80 Miles. Also noticed that with Trip 1 Enhanced display on, my usable battery capacity seems to be only 16kWh (used 14kWh with only 8 miles shown).

I am hoping that when it gets warmer, Range and usable battery capacity increases. Haven't had it long enough to experience warm temps yet.
BlueCandy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well that's good because I heard that mostly people have only 60 miles. But never experienced on 120 V charging station.. because always charge my car on 220V charging station. But before plug your car charging you need to check that everything is turn off! because these things also consume battery power. Good Luck.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

mine shows 110-130 most days after a full charge. My recorded watts/mile is one of the lowest on the bev.myfordmobile.com my 2013 FFE is names azsolarfocus at 190 watts/mile , I have some drives with as low as 140 watts/mile.
I never take highways and low easy safe local streets and schools zones at 35 are magic. I commute 40 miles round trip a day and even car pool. I get to work with little stress compared to fighting highways all the way.

My favorite vehicle is my bicycle. Speed kills.
jstack6 is offline   Reply With Quote