110V vs 240V charging. What efficiency? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Electric Forum
» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Garage

The Kill-A-Watt meter is available from a number of venders. They are relatively inexpensive, and come in handy for checking power usage.

Amazon Amazon

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882715001

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All
JeffAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

When I leave my FFE plugged into 120 or 240 I get a message about every hour says your vehicle is fully charged. SO it seems to top it off every hour.

I also found out that the 120 system can only charge or cool the battery, not both at the same time. So in very hot temps it may take a lot longer to charge since it may stop and cool every so often. That also might be the case for the battery heater.

The cooling or heating could account to the 33% loss that was seen while charging.
jstack6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default Charger efficiency

2014 Ford Focus Electric (new EV driver and LOVING IT!!!)
Charger Efficiency (34.8%)
I took 3 trips totalling 13.4 KWh (3.5 + 3.4 + 6.5). Used 70% of battery.
Charged with 120V charger and used Kill-A-Watt meter to measure 18.06 KWh of energy used to charge back to full. This also estimates a usable battery pack of 19.14 out of the 23 KWh.

I did sometimes hear coolant flowing as I walked by the charging car, so yes, some % of the energy is used for temperature maintenance.

Hoping some others will share their usable battery pack estimates and charger efficiencies. I will post a 240 V efficiency if I can obtain a device to measure it.
javi_ucsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

The 120 cord can charge or cool/heat your battery but not both. My friends in our Phoenix area have left their FFE plugged in all day and only gained 2-3 miles since the 120 cord was cooling most of the time.
The cord is also a very small diameter wire not safe for charging long times. The LEAF or Chevy charge cord is better with much larger gauge wire. BUT the 120 is still very limited in hot or cold temperature as I wrote since it can charge and cool/heat the battery.
A 240 is the only way to charge a FFE. The 2016 even has a Fast Charge port. That is even faster and more efficient with a perfect PF Power Factor.
jstack6 is offline   Reply With Quote