I got the call!! - Ford Focus Electric Forum
» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 02:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I got the call!!

I got a call from my dealer yesterday afternoon ... my FFE had arrived!!!! Because of the lack of information from Ford I have been talking with several people at my local dealer (Sunnyvale Ford). The original guy quit and now two of the salesman where both thinking they would get the commission. Not my problem, I'll let them work it out.

So my wife and I go in and take a long awaited test drive (I placed my order in early Feb). I was originally worried about the lack of trunk space as the photos looked like it could only hold 2 grocery bags. It turns out there is a large subdivider that breaks up the trunk into several different compartments. When this is removed (it just lifts out) there is room for 4 or 5 grocery bags. Much more reasonable.

We had to go to a previous engagement but on the way back to the dealer I get a strange phone call from one of the salesmen asking what price had been discussed. I stated that original salesman had suggested it sells for MSRP at 39,200 plus options (I got the leather seats $995 and the white platinum paint $495.) When I sat down to figure out the financing they then told me there was a 10,000 dealer markup. I complained that this was the first time that anyone had mentioned a markup and I would not pay it. They dropped it to $2500 and began to bargain as if this was any car off the lot not one that I had waited for 5 months. After 2 hours going back and forth and them saying they had a dozen buyers the would be willing to pay the 10,000 markup. I walked! One of the salesguys came after me in the lot and asked if they should call me tomorrow and should they hold the car? I told them sure but now I am so pissed that I don't think i can ever buy a Ford.

I have never seen such a poor product launch and now this...

I know it will be several months before any of the other dealers will have a car and perhaps some markup will be common by then. In all likelihood I will have to wait until the next electric vehicle is available. Honda says the Electric Fit will be available in July. I tend to believe Honda's launch dates. Not sure what I should do. Any suggestions anyone?
Scott Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Scott did you sign a buyer's order or purchase agreement or the like when you ordered the FFE?

Sadly, this type of thing occured also with the Volt. If you don't have a signed agreement then you are at the mercy of the dealer. And if they have more than one person asking for the car they will do what they can to get the highest price.

You might appeal to the Sales Manager to honor the orginial agreement, and after that try the owner.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Scott, I don't blame you one bit. I would be so pissed.

Ford has independent owners and their service is varied. When I was planning my purchase I called 4 dealers. Three out of four were terrible. The first wanted $5,000 over MSRP and two, after I contacted a salesperson, couldn't even return my phone calls. The third did a very could job.

In fact, the car is being delivered in quantities, and at many EV certified dealers you can drive in and pick up a new FFE for list or with slight add-ons. Some dealers have ordered leather seats and deluxe paint and give that as an incentive to purchase. Don't feel you can not drive the vehicle home. I personally bought my car 200 miles away from my home and my wife and I had a ton of fun driving it home. Another friend, on this site, purchased his vehicle 800 miles away from home and trailered it back. Or you can call a delivery trucker who will charge a reasonable rate to get it home.

All Ford dealers are prepared to repair and service the vehicle. I checked on that before purchase. My local dealer was very helpful and excited to have the car in his shop. Plus, the service schedule is every 20,000 miles. You really don't need maintenance unless something breaks.

They do not have buyers willing to pay $10,000 plus. That is a total scam. You have decided not to purchase a Ford Electric Focus. Ford needs to know about this and I hope you will be in your angriest mind set and call customer service and tell them this story. 800-392-3673. Finally, my FFE is a perfect vehicle for me and I am very pleased with the quality of the product. Good luck and keep us posted. I am very curious about this issue.
dwf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hey Scott, sorry to hear that! I'll PM you some threads on a different forum where they are discussing dealers and their MSRP surcharges.

There's actually a dealer offering MSRP - $100 in La Mesa California, not sure where you are located. http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum....php?f=3&t=603
electricguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Scott,
My advice would be to NOT buy a car from that dealer. As pointed out, there are other dealers who would be much more up front.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

There were similar actions by some Saturn dealers when we were waiting for their roadster the Saturn Sky to be launched in 2006. Some dealers wanted to charge a mark up of $2,000 - $5,000. You can just walk. In fact there's a dealer up north who has two Focus Electric on the lot and will sell one to you for the MSRP. I don't know where you are, possibly California. You have a right to be peeved at Ford but it is a decision by the independent local dealer. The Focus is still the most advanced and well built electric right now, I believe.

That's hideous and I'd be angry too. Ridiculous.
billsblots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of your help.

Now for the rest of the story...

After walking away from the dealership in disgust, I came home and started searching through the forums and gathering all of my communications with the dealer. The next morning I went straight down to Sunnyvale Ford and passed all of the sales and finance people I had been dealing with the day before and asked to see the general manager.

Although I had never seen nor heard from him he was well aware of my story. After 30 minutes of discussion making sure we new each others points of view and showing the documents I had accumulated with purchase order confirmation showing MSRP and nothing else, he made his first move. He dropped the dealer markup from $2,500 down to ... $2,000. Okay not very much. Perhaps it was because it was Father's day and I wanted to spend what was left of the weekend with my kids or perhaps it was that I was tired of all of the "potential" of EV's and it was finally time to see it in action or perhaps I was thought of waiting months to find another one but I countered. "$1,500 and 1.48% financing" I said. After some more discussion of how the dealer doesn't make much on this car (over $5,000 at MSRP according to Consumer report's "Bottom Line" price guide)... he took it!

I am now the proud owner of a FFE!! Actually my wife is. I on the otherhand have been out of town this last week while she has had all of the fun. No worries I have been able to track her charging and discharging activities on the MyFordMobile app on my iPhone.

The verdict after one week... she love's it! Although I suspect the main reason is the car is so quite she can easily talk on her handsfree connection to her iPhone without any background noise. Actually it was the handsfree link that got her interested into all of the technology. She called me when she had finally achieved butterflies on her dashboard (ie. she improved her driving style enough to be an efficient driver). She called when her car texted her that the charge was full. (I was able to set that up remotely). She called me when she entered her car and found the airconditioning on after all day charging at work (you guessed it, I set up that remotely too!). I was pleased to see that she never got below 30 miles driving range. She still has little range anxiety.

Oops, I got to go. It's almost time for the live streaming of the first delivery of a Model S at the Tesla Fremont Factory. Can't wait for mine. Reservation holder #6447 !!!!
Scott Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you for the update on your purchase. Good luck with the car and I would love to hear about the Tesla.....
dwf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

I was kind of feeling sorry for you, having to pay $1500 over MSRP, and then the wife getting to have all the fun and driving all around using up all the new car smell, and then you let slip that you are getting a Model S.

Gee, that's some consolation prize!

Model S looks awesome, ditto the Model X.

Hope Tesla can continue to pull it off.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the update Scott.

No worries I have been able to track her charging and discharging activities on the MyFordMobile app on my iPhone.

Hahahahahaha
billsblots is offline   Reply With Quote