My New Ford Focus Electric - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My New Ford Focus Electric

I paid for and picked up my new Focus today 5/29/2012. I am excited, but mostly feel exhausted. This has been a two year quest and I am a bit overwhelmed by the vehicle. It is not the electric componet, it drives just like any automobile, it is all of the tech stuff. SYNC and My Ford Touch are amazing but require a significant investment of brain power. It is kind of like getting a brand new computer and having to upload, register and learn of all the ins and outs of the system. I will easily spend the next few weeks simply figuring out how everything works and tweeking it to my personal style.

The electric componet has it's own learning curve. But!! My first priority is to get the **** thing home. My wife and I decided to drive the 186 miles home and look at it as an adventure. We do not have any charging stations north of New Haven, CT. So we have been mapping out our route to make sure we arrive with power. (In reading the benefits of ownership, Ford has a 5 year road assistance program and one of the perks is a "dead battery" call. Do you think Ford means that for the FFE battery??? Dare me to test it out???)

One new discovery on our trip down to New York was the DOT is rebuilding the Service Areas along I-95 and they have installed 120volt outlets in the truck waiting areas.

My bride and I are returning home on Thursday and I'll keep you posted as to our progress. Enjoy the pics.

[attachment=2:1ip3lpts]FFE Electric (640x480).jpg[/attachment:1ip3lpts]

[attachment=1:1ip3lpts]FFE Front (640x480).jpg[/attachment:1ip3lpts]

[attachment=0:1ip3lpts]FFE Engine (640x480).jpg[/attachment:1ip3lpts]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FFE Electric (640x480).jpg (145.2 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg FFE Front (640x480).jpg (199.6 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg FFE Engine (640x480).jpg (221.8 KB, 262 views)
dwf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: My New Ford Focus Electric

dwf1,

Congrats!!!

I think you will be fine driving to your destination. As you know, you can go a long way at 40 mph (you might try using your flashers). You might also consider this idea... Backtrack your route about 30 miles from your house. Start looking for "friendly" looking houses or establishments. And simply knock on the door and tell them your situation. Also, bring your wife. I think people basically want to be friendly, and help a person out if they understand the situation

Best of luck, and have fun, and tell us all about it
Old 05-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

What! No public charging stations.

Then try the private charging stations.
If any of the area you are driving threw is zone 1B release, the Ford dealerships that will be handeling the FFE should have the charging stations installed. If that don't work then try the Nissan dealerships. Always call ahead to get permission first, and get dealership hours. This way you may gain access to level 2 charging. You may have to bribe them with donuts.
JeffAnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
If that don't work then try the Nissan dealerships.
If you charge at a Nissan dealership take plenty of pictures! LOL

Congrats on the car--very jealous! There is a ton of stuff in MFT (and I'm sure more in MFT for the FFE)! Once you figure out Ford's logic with it it becomes much easier to use...

jmueller065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Holy Cow! Many congrats and thanks for taking time to post and also pictures.

First, I may be late, but at 75 miles a charge maybe not. There are 2 Level 2 charging locations in Richmond, VA, just off I-95 that I know of. One is the Virginia Science Museum, and the other is Richmond Ford.

Both of these exit right off I-95 onto Broad Street. I would give you directions but you're better off using your car for navigation

Further if you want to charge at my house all night I have a couple of bedrooms with Queen sized beds, I'm south of Richmond just 3 miles off I-95. Private Message me if you want all the comforts of home and a free overnight charge.

Wait, why do I think you're heading to North Carolina? I might be confusing you with someone, in that case, never mind!

Good Luck.
billsblots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

You could also try a Chevy dealership that sells the Volt.
If they have a level 2 charger it will be limited to 16 amps at 240 volts.
This will take 7 to 8 hours for a complete charge. :P
JeffAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wood,

Awesome dude. Glad you decided to have a go a just driving it home. The suggestion that you use your "hazard lights" implies that some think you are planning to drive down I-95 going 45 mph. I would suspect rather that you have mapped out secondary roads where you can travel at lower speeds more safely.

Look forward to hearing about the journey home. Sounds like the wife is being a trooper. Would be curious to hear her thoughts on the FFE so far.

Which smartphone do you have?

Have you been able to get the text to voice to work?

Are you able to use the FFE as hotspot thru your phone/tablet data connection?

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you gentlemen for all you wellwishes!!! This forum has been a great source of information and friendship.

Quote:
can go a long way at 40 mph
I am driving the I-95 through CT. I will drive at 60 mph and see how it goes. We have plans A, B & C. The lower part of CT isn't bad with several charging stations. The Eastern section of CT is the most difficult. However, we am stopping for the night in New Haven (82 miles from origination) and staying at the Omni which has it's own charging station on site. The eastern section is only 62 miles to my work location where I have a built in level 2 station. Then only 40 miles to my home in Newport, RI

Quote:
bribe them with donuts
Nissan is actually great. They have about 4 locations on my route and were very accomodating when I called them. I always talk to the service desk. The front office doesn't have a clue. Suprisingly there are numerous private locations which are not listed on any internet maps. The Nissan people would tell me about their customers which have bought cars and put stations in their businesses. CT is not a 1b state and none of the Ford locations have stations installed.

Quote:
There is a ton of stuff in MFT
Yes there is! One of the items which has been difficult is the the MYFordmobile.com. This site enables computer and cell phone updates and I can't get the car register in the site.??? But, do I really need all this? Once I get this car to RI it will never leave the state again. For me it is a commuter vehicle. (I won't lie, it is also my pride in driving by every gas station I see )

Quote:
at my house all night I have a couple of bedrooms with Queen sized beds
Ahwwww thanks. Would love to visit and show off the car, but we are going North.....

Quote:
level 2 charger it will be limited to 16 amps at 240 volts.
This will take 7 to 8 hours for a complete charge.
I actually got the Nissan Level 2 upgrade. I know it is only 16 amps. But, I hope like **** it is not 7-8 hours of charging. I ordered it with the condition of returning it, so I will let you know.

Quote:
Sounds like the wife is being a trooper. Would be curious to hear her thoughts on the FFE so far.
Which smartphone do you have?
Have you been able to get the text to voice to work?
Are you able to use the FFE as hotspot thru your phone/tablet data connection?
Thanks Marc, Kathy is a trooper. It was her idea to drive it home. "let's make it an adventure. Spend the night in New Haven and have some fun..." She was immediately taken by the apperance, comfort and "fun" dynamics of the car. She has driven it and likes its handling. Sitting in the driver's seat is like sitting in a cockpit. Lot's of monitors popping up messages. My wife, hands down, is the more efficient driver. I already know I am going to losing the bet on the key FOB, which personalizes the FOB to the driver.

I have a Microsoft phone. Actually like it tremendously. Our first ride out, I texted all my kids before leaving the dealership and after the dealer sync'd my phone. Suddenly, we start getting the announcements that we have a Text message, "Would you like me to read it to you?" (That is Emily's voice on SYNC) We were both like "What do we do now?????" But after declining the first, along about the third message we dared to say yes and she reads us the text and then asks if we would like to reply. We were stunned. Can you tell we are slow to learn all the techie things?)

Using the FFE as a hot spot is possible but I am way, way, way away from that.......

My best to all of you. Leaving in two hours for RI. Believe me you will hear more....
Old 05-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thats soo cool!

Even better: You can play around with http://www.myfordmobile.com as a guest and see what its like! Cool!

jmueller065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Great first day of our trip. Our goal was Ramsey, NJ to New Haven, CT 86 miles. We started with our battery fully charged and showing an 82 mile "anticipated" range. (The mileage range is a computer logarithum based on temperature, driving habits, equipment turned on - ac or heater and regenerative brake experience.) The range changes as you drive. For example we started out and I spotted a sign that read 12 miles to the Tappan Zee Bridge. I noted the mileage and battery range. After 12 miles we had only used 9 miles of range.

We had two adults, my wife and I, a medium size suitcase, travel bag and assorted other small items. We drove 60 miles per hour using cruise control and had our AC set to 73 degrees with the fan set on low. We used all interstate highways, routes I-287N, I-87S and I-95N. Each interstate is a coastal route which means relatively flat. The weather was beautiful and 78 degrees. I had planned two "just in case" EVSE stations prior to arriving in New Haven. We set our Navigation system with all three points marked. (Whole Foods Evse in Fairfield, Nissan EVSE in Milford and the final point the Omni Hotel with an EVSE in New Haven. We easily passed the first in Fairfield without stopping. At the second location we had 20 miles of range left and only had 13 miles to go for our final destination - New Haven. That means we could have driven a total of 93 miles on the charge.

However, I had called the Nissan service manager in Milford and he had told me he was very excited about seeing the car. So, erring on the side of safety and just for the pride of it, we stopped in Milford. We were met by 5 people including the owner of the dealership. Super bunch of people. Happy to see the car, interested in inspecting it and they plugged us right in to the level 2 station! We opened every door, cover and hatch so they could see the vehicle. We went inside and they had a brand new high end Leaf SL. I have to tell you it was a beautiful car. They had a saleman who was very knowledgable about EV' and he told me all about the Leaf. I was very impressed. We spent 30 minutes pluged in and we departed. The 30 minutes increased my range from 20 miles to 37 miles - +17.

We were only about 17 miles from New Haven and pulled into our destination with 23 miles range left. Staying at the Omni in downtown New Haven which has a full service EVSE station with level 3 and 2 power. The valet asked me if I had a Tesla. Yea right.... But when I told him I had a Ford Focus Electric order #0001 he was very syched and had, within a few minutes, a crowd asking about the car and looking it all over. Fun, Fun, Fun....

We arrived about 4 pm and plugged in about 4:30pm. Had dinner and went down to check the car at 7:00pm. It was fully charged and registered 95 miles range. 2 1/2 hours from a 23 mile range to full charge. Had I known the range this car is capable of and the speed of level 2 charging, I could have easily made it home in one day. On a clear day you can go 85+ miles, stop somewhere for dinner, a little shopping and three hours later be on the move for another 85+ miles.

Don't get me wrong. Once this car arrives in RI it will never leave the state again. For me this is a commuter automobile, but that does not deter anyone from traveling a resonable distance and enjoying the trip tremendously. Additionally, EVSE stations are popping up all over the place. If you use the trip planners only a small percentage show up. The Nissan dealerships were very good about pointing out customers who have set up their own stations at their businesses.

It is quite pleasant to drive. Has excellent pickup on the interstate both in merging and in passing. I did drive conservatively but feel comfortable in jacking it up to 70 or 80 mph. It is solid, you can feel the weight stability, it does not roll side or yaw. Has no blind spots. Great side mirrors. Great AC, I took three hands free calls while driving and answered 2 text messages. My wife said her passenger seat felt comfortable and had good support.

Check in tomorrow.