My New Ford Focus Electric - Page 2 - Ford Focus Electric Forum
» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: My New Ford Focus Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf1
It is quite pleasant to drive. Has excellent pickup on the interstate both in merging and in passing. I did drive conservatively but feel comfortable in jacking it up to 70 or 80 mph. It is solid, you can feel the weight stability, it does not roll side or yaw. Has no blind spots. Great side mirrors. Great AC, I took three hands free calls while driving and answered 2 text messages. My wife said her passenger seat felt comfortable and had good support.

Check in tomorrow.
Wait, what? Your wife was with you in the car? How did you get to the dealership? Figured you guys would be driving seperately.

2.5 hours to charge...hmmm... I wonder what the amperage was on that level 2 charger.

Electrics give you the perfect excuse to stop and smell the roses

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Our trip is finished. Back in RI and happy to be home/work. I cannot tell you how impressed I am with this automobile. It is a blast to drive. Quick when you need it, sure footed, has more than enough battery mileage for me, technically extreme but user friendly and very sporty looking. The Metallic Platinum White is gorgeous. And, it is quiet beyond normal. Everyone knows about the lack of engine noise, add to that zero wind noise and minimal tire noise.

I told you I don't need most of the tech stuff, but I am intrigued enough to figure it out and play around. When we bought our 2007 Avalon the salesmen spent 4 hours explaining things to us. I literally got sick of listening to him and finally told him we were driving away so "get out of the car!" Half the stuff I never used again. This car encourages you to use the tech, it is intuitive. My Ford Touch is pretty interesting and My Sync is simply a matter of putting your phone into the system and it works in the background and all you do is wait for calls, messages, etc. You can even tell it to drive to one of your contacts by simply stating the name. It looks in your phone, gets the address and punches up the navigation system with a destination. A lot to learn but I am intrigued.

When I charged the car last night, I unplugged when completed and the gauge read 95 mile range. When we got in this morning and turned the car on the gauge read 65 mile range. We only need to go 62 miles, so we left and drove just like yesterday, 60 mph, AC on set at low fan speed, I-95 with minor hills, clear beautiful day 80 degrees. We ended our trip in about an hour and a quarter with 26 miles still on the range gauge, which means I could have driven 85 plus miles.

The display has a butterfly screen that tells you how efficiently you are driving, if you click a button it changes to a gauge which I like much better. It tells a percentage of power you are adding based on your driving habits. I was getting about 18-20% and I interpret that to me if the battery gauge says 50 miles, I will actually get 18% more mileage or 59 miles out of the battery. That seemed to hold true and maybe even be more. I have to have some user experience gained over time to figure this out.

Miles per kilowatt hour and stuff like that I haven't even began to figure out. Don't even know how to access the information yet.

Right now I am simply sharing my excitement about this vehicle. I have numerous people to take for joy rides and lots of compliments to receive Most people are pretty **** impressed. Oddly, it does have to do with the electric, but many simply admire the lines, the paint job, seats, dashboard and sportiness of the vehicle.

One slightly worrisome note. When leaving the dealership, I asked the salesmen, if he had any more preorders. His response was that they have ordered 5 more vehicles, but no one else has preordered at his dealership. They only had a total of two preorders - me and a guy from Vermont. That should evoke a whole new line of forum news. Is anyone else ordering the FFE????
dwf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
One slightly worrisome note. When leaving the dealership, I asked the salesmen, if he had any more preorders. His response was that they have ordered 5 more vehicles, but no one else has preordered at his dealership. They only had a total of two preorders - me and a guy from Vermont. That should evoke a whole new line of forum news. Is anyone else ordering the FFE????
Ford didn't seem to make a big marketing splash for this FFE introduction. As I recall, GM and Nissan both made a much bigger deal, when their electric cars first came out. Maybe, Ford is waiting for the 2nd release, this fall?

By the way, I had the same impression of the butterflies (I thought the screen was too busy/messy). I was afraid I'd have to watch the screen all the time, but I'm glad it can be replaced with a digital display.
Anyway, thanks for sharing your first experiences. It would be great to here how your everyday commutes work out (and anything else).

Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I think this is exactly as Ford intends. They want slow and controlled.

Quote:
“When I charged the car last night, I unplugged when completed and the gauge read 95 mile range. When we got in this morning and turned the car on the gauge read 65 mile range.”
Can you explain this? You unplugged after a charge and had 95. Come back the next morning and you have 65 miles? Did you leave the car on? How do you account for the 30 mile drop in range?

Sounds like so far the car has been very good/conservative on the range estimate.

Quote:
“Miles per kilowatt hour and stuff like that I haven't even began to figure out. Don't even know how to access the information yet.”
I think when you power down it pops up a summary on the cluster screen left of the speedometer or the center stack screen.

Failing that you can download the app to your phone and pull up your usage history, or you can do the same on a computer at:

https://www.myfordmobile.com/content/co ... ogin.faces

once registered click on mydriving tab.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Superb summary, thanks very much. I'm more excited about getting my Focus Electric everyday.... 4 months from now
billsblots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

One thing that actually put me off a bit at first was the "butterfly" screen at ford.com. Glad to hear you can change that into something more useful. That's interesting and very good news about the "extra" capacity you can total up by driving mannerisms or the conditions. I was thinking that with my 50 mile round trip to work that I would need the estimated 76 mile range if I used the AC, which in thick, humid Virginia summers would be almost necessity. Your impression seems to be it doesn't pull down the range much, in fact at 73 degree setting you were still able to add mileage.

Thanks for taking the time to share your initial impressions. Hope the other Focus EV at the dealership get picked up. At the price it may be a tough sell. I'd go up and get one if they'd cover my deposit I gave to my Richmond dealer, lol.
billsblots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Can you explain this? You unplugged after a charge and had 95. Come back the next morning and you have 65 miles? Did you leave the car on? How do you account for the 30 mile drop in range?
I cannot explain this. I may have left something on. I do not think so but, I really do not know.

Quote:
One thing that actually put me off a bit at first was the "butterfly" screen at ford.com. Glad to hear you can change that into something more useful. That's interesting and very good news about the "extra" capacity you can total up by driving mannerisms or the conditions.
Bear in mind - I am a rookie All of the above information is based on 200 miles of driving. All of the above is a guess at what is happening. I am a big reader of directions but like most computers today the manufacturer gives you a one page "quick" start and Ford is no different. I previously told you, the Toyota people put me in the car for 4 hours, I spent 10 minutes, in the car, with the salesman from NY on this Focus. His last comment was "Good Luck..." And he was clueless about how to run things. For SCNC he went on a computer, opened my account, put my cell number in and said "Go home and check it out on your computer." When I was 5 minutes down the road and Lucy came on and told me I had a text message, I almost sh*t my pants.

That being said I will probably be modifying my discoveries as we drive more. My wife discovered a relationship between the gauge and the navigation system. She said the % was in relationship to the distance between the final destination and the amount of range showing on the battery. 18% meant we had 50 miles to go and 59 more miles on the battery. I didn't see that, but she is right more than I am, or at least she will tell me she is.... I will be checking the book on that one....

The good news is there are several helpful website like:
SYNC http://syncmyride.com/own/MFTSite/Mf...ooseBrand.aspx
My Ford mobile https://myfordmobile.com/content/cou...in/login.faces

I have found great customer service by calling Ford Customer Support at 800 392-3673. These people are very good and will walk you through the steps inside the car. Today, I was having trouble registering my car with the My Ford Mobile site. I called customer support and the individual who helped told me to take my phone and go out and sit in the car. As soon as I got in, his voice came over the car's sound system and he started adjusting the onboard computer and syncing with my email address through my phone.

Ok, I can live with that, who cares about privacy anyway?? Just take over my phone and my car. You want the computer? Sure, you probably have it anyway. I hope pretty soon they will start driving it for me. I am getting older, so what....

I have been humbly put into my rightful place....
Old 06-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #18 (permalink)

Good morning Whit,

Quote:
Know anyone else with a FFE? My dealer sold all five of his alotment, one to a guy trying to take it home to Chicago
To the best of my knowledge that makes 7 of us. 2 from my dealer and 5 from yours. I hope there are a lot more out there and I hope they join our forums to share information. I have learned so much here. My driving home, 186 miles home, was directly related to encouragement from members.

80 miles is a piece of cake. Good luck....
Old 06-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
My wife discovered a relationship between the gauge and the navigation system.
Actually I can't win hands down.. We are both correct. When navigating to a destination it shows % above/or below where we are navigating to and when simply driving it shows % improvement over battery display.. Leaning, learning, learning.....
Old 06-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

Phewww, that sounded a little close, particularly on the way back.'

Quote:
The car's HVAC is automatic even with AC off. If it's 65F in the car it will turn the heat on if the temp knob is at 72F
Did you actually push the "off" button. (Right side below red MAX on the climate panel.) It is not very clearly identified. If you touch any other climate button or control the systems comes on.

Quote:
car showing only 1 mile of charge left and 10 surplus miles
How did you identify this? I assume the "1 mile of charge left" comes from the left screen viewing the battery symbol. The right screen with the butterfly and the guage shows "surplus" miles or a "percentage" of improvement over the original full charge. My wife and I have a difference of opinion on this and we are uncertain what that really means. In your case does do you think it mean you could drive another 11 miles (1 battery + 10 surplus)????

This is really a big learning curve for all of us.

Quote:
yellow warning light on charge and only the 10 miles surplus left.
I am just not real sure I want to go there......