Cellular data plan included - Ford Focus Electric Forum
» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cellular data plan included

I had been trying to find out how one actually communicated with the Focus for the App. I was pointed to an article announcing Ford had entered into an agreement with ATT to provide cellular modems and service in the FFE. Nowhere did it say whether the actual wireless service was included or would be an extra expense for the customer.

My salesman looked up on a dealer-only esource web site today while I was at his desk and did find the key words "complimentary 5-year subscription", starting the day of purchase. The glossy advertising indicates it is a built-in capability, but knowing me I wanted to see that it wasn't something we'd find out at the last minute was a wireless subscription we'd have to sign up for. Not that I'm jaded, just trying to be thorough.

Most urban areas are covered by ATT okay, but ATT coverage can drop quickly outside and between metropolitan areas.
billsblots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Cellular data plan included

Well technically:
- You won't be using the capability while on the road--since you're in the car.
- Only having <100 miles in range kind of limits your use "in the country" anyway.
- Just make sure when you park it its got good signal
- Having said that will they put some indication on the MFT display of the cellular signal or do you have to guess? (Like the "bars" display most cell-phones have)

jmueller065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmueller065
Well technically:
- You won't be using the capability while on the road--since you're in the car.
- Only having <100 miles in range kind of limits your use "in the country" anyway.
- Just make sure when you park it its got good signal
- Having said that will they put some indication on the MFT display of the cellular signal or do you have to guess? (Like the "bars" display most cell-phones have)
Well, good question, I hadn't seen anything about that. Wireless and radio nerds like myself are always interested in signal strengths.

There may be an issue where someone lives within FFE round trip driving range of work, but when gets home is out of the ATT coverage area, therefore unable to "talk" to or "see status" of his car, even though it is sitting in his garage or driveway. I'm guessing one can program the car for off-peak value charging, and other functions, directly at the car's dashboard. There just may be some inconveniences if you can't communicate with the car via the mobile app. Sounds like I'm already spoiled, and I may not even see the car for 5 or 6 months.

Another section of the dealer sales information booklet I'm reading says the complimentary 5-year wireless data subscription begins the day of production, not the day of purchase as I wrote originally.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
There may be an issue where someone lives within FFE round trip driving range of work, but when gets home is out of the ATT coverage area, therefore unable to "talk" to or "see status" of his car, even though it is sitting in his garage or driveway.
If they are using the same hardware as all the other vehicles with MFT it may be able to switch over to WiFi while sitting in your garage! Both our cars with MFT can see our home WiFi network (its buried in the settings screen but you can tell it to sync up with a WiFi network).

Old 05-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

You may be outthinking them, or me for sure. It wouldn't take much to stick wi-fi capability in it as well. That sure makes a lot of sense, but I haven't read anything about it.

#1 suggestion for FFE, v1.1 !
Old 05-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't think so--basically its already in there. The My-Ford-Touch (MFT) displays (and My Lincoln Touch) run on Windows (yes!) which already has the capability built in to find and use a WiFi signal (think using Laptop in library, Panera Bread, etc.). Now with the performance upgrade to MFT which has been completely rewritten by Microsoft (the original, and far buggier, version was written by a 3rd party: essentially the lowest bidder who is/was a PC company and didn't fully realize what they were getting into in the automotive market).

Windows Automotive

The performance upgrade also updated MFT displays to the latest version of Windows Automotive.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

I did not know it had w-fi built in. Anyone with their own wireless router would pick up the Focus from the driveway or garage then, assuming you can program in your router's login and security info. It would not be dependent upon being in the footprint of ATT.

That's additional communications flexibility I had not read anywhere.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes it will find your network and ask for a password:

It finds all the same networks in my driveway that my phone does.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah the kids are most excited about the ability of the car to take a smartphone or tablet's data connection and use it to make a hotspot. They can then use their to ipods to get web access rolling down the road.

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey thanks for the pic!