Why Would Anyone Buy a Focus Electric? - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why Would Anyone Buy a Focus Electric?

Quote:
The base 2012 Ford Focus Electric has the same sticker price as the 2012 Volt. I hope Ford and its EV's succeed but why would anyone choose a Focus over a Volt when the price is the same?

http://www.ford.com/electric/focuselectric/2012/

This was the question posed by a member over at http://www.gm-volt.com. A good question. As the owner of a Volt for 22k miles and as someone who has plunked down a desposit on the Ford Focus Electric, let me take a stab at answering that. And also allow me to point out that this question points out a common mistake people make when assessing the suitability of a vehicle for the driving needs of others. They mistakenly think that everyone has the same transport needs as themselves. Just as many people have zero need for an F350 with a dump body, for those who do need that, it is indispensable. It is a mistake I keep making myself.

With the Volt as a daily commuter I am driving on electric 94% of the time, to the tune of 18,000 plus miles per year. The Focus electric will also be used as a daily commuter.

The Volt, for me, on an optimal charging day can be a 100-120 electric miles/day car. The Focus Electric, given the same charging times and scenarios could be a 200-300 electric miles/day car. This is due to the larger battery and especially the 6.6kw charger. There have been times when we have not taken the Volt because EGADS we would have burned some gas! I know I know, we need help. The Focus EV would have made those runs easily.

The Volt is a 3 to 4 miles/kw car. The Focus is 4 to 6 miles/kw.

Because of the Focus Electric’s faster charging and larger battery I would be able to actually take advantage of off peak charging, whereas with the Volt we routinely need to charge on peak in order to avoid burning gas. Charging on peak is still cheaper than burning gas, but charging off peak is about half the price.

Now that the “novelty” of the Volt has warn off, the kids complain bitterly about the back seats. Kids, 10 and 12 years old don’t think it is roomy enough. At 6’3” they don’t get much debate from me on that point. The Focus backseat gets a thumbs up from the kids. Shutting the kids up from whining about the back seat would be worth 2 grand just on its own.

Related to this is the fact that the Volt can be a challenge to get into and out of. It sits low to the ground. Of course this fact is part of what allows this car to corner very very well. The Focus Electric seats are up higher and are therefore easier to get into and out of. Not an issue for me personally but I have noticed some folks struggle to get into and out of the Volt.

If I don’t need an engine why lug it around with me everyday, and pay to maintain it, and burn fuel in it from time to time? The Focus Electric will be a daily commuter, and kids sports activities transport. For those tasks I do not need an engine, and I can use this car to save miles that would otherwise go on one of our gassers.

Technology. The Focus Electric has two, count them two customizable 4.2” instrument cluster screens each with its own 5 way controller on the steering wheel, and an 8” center stack screen. The Volt WAS the iPod of the car world, the Focus Electric clearly inherits the Techno King Crown.

Much more extensive voice command system. Much more integration of smartphone features into the car, including the ability to use 10 apps through the car at this point. The ability to use the car as hotspot to provide WIFI to as many as 5 devices within the car.

The Volt fully loaded is pushing $46k. The Focus Electric fully loaded is just under $40k. Add $1000 if you want leather seats, but other than that the Focus Electric comes loaded. And fully loaded on the FFE finds the Volt wanting. That is just icing, of course, the main thing is that the Focus Electric will allow me to drive many more miles per day exclusively on electricity.
Marc Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

My FFE seems to have a battery life that so far is perfect. No loss in capacity at all after 3 HOT years in the Phoenix area. Compared to 2 LEAF we had losing 10% a year or more.

I get a 100 mile range since I drive Like I care. City streets and plan for stops etc.

It's American made.
jstack6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

This is the exact reason why I bought a Volt: https://www.autolist.com/chevrolet-v...e=1&radius=100
Autolist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Why we have a 2017 Ford Focus Electric

Driving electric may help financially. Gas prices are higher in Southern California than in many states. Regenerative energy from the brakes increases the realized range we experience when driving. This helps when driving along streets, or along our hilly areas here in SoCal. Our car can show an estimate of over 135 miles on our battery after charging, before going out for a drive. We find that this budget of 135 miles can get us where we need to go on a daily basis. We also are pleased with the availability of many EV charging stations around the county. The 2017 FFE comes with a DC charging connector port.
Valerie Welham is offline   Reply With Quote