Plan On Charging Four Times A Day? - Ford Focus Electric Forum
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Focus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 05:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Plan On Charging Four Times A Day?

Ford is indicating that their research shows that people will be charging 4 times a day. A little hard to believe. I am thinking they mean twice a day and are counting each time you plug in and unplug as separate events, or maybe they are thinking forward to the time when charging stations are ubiquitous and people plug in all over town?

http://www.thefordstory.com/our-article ... -annually/

Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Plan On Charging Four Times A Day?

Looking at the article they are in fact counting plug-in & disconnect as separate events.

Still I would think that most owners only need to charge once a day (which is twice by this article's count) as statisticly most people drive less than 50mi a day. Of course that doesn't necssarily mean that the majority of LEAF owners fall into this category. Looking at the LEAF forums there are some 100% daily chargers, but it appears that a majority are comfortably in the '80% club' implying to me that they don't need more than 80mi (more than one charge session).
FocusSkeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would be curious to know who the Ford researchers asked?
I'm thinking they asked mostly random people, who have no clue about driving an EV.
Say you have a regular gas car with a tank that get around 320 miles per tank.
Compare that to an EV that gets 100 miles per charge.
Ergo, you need to charge 4 times to equal the gas car.
Eletruk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Recharging an electric car may be one of the bigger changes that people must get used to.
We refill ICE cars about once a week, but we will probably have to constantly top off battery powered electric cars every day, and maybe even more than once a day.

I expect to recharge my future BEV once a day, probably overnight. But, but with a little bit of luck, I'll be able to do it twice a day, ruining all of Southern California Edison's power demand projections by recharging it during peak hours -- at work -- using my employer's electrical outlet.

And during the weekends, all bets are off. I'll recharge it whenever I can, wherever I can, as I go on those unpredictable weekend errands and trips.

-- Ardie
ardie is offline   Reply With Quote