Ford Focus EV Starting Price $39,990 - Ford Focus Electric Forum
» Featured Product
» Auto Insurance
FordFocusElectric.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 568
Default Ford Focus EV Starting Price $39,990

Starting price is out $39,900. People were hoping for less than the Leaf, but the reality is that it has the Leaf beat on key features, so it makes sense it would be in same price range.

You can price it and accessorize it out here.
Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 36
Default Re: Ford Focus EV Starting Price $39,990

YES!

Plenty excited to see that we finally have price and reservation information. Bit disappointed in the prices...but not surprised. If it was going to be cheaper than the leaf they would have announced that months ago. I do disagree that it has the Leaf beat on key features. I would say it beats the Leaf with the 6.6kW charger and leather seat option (extra $1k), But the Leaf has more passenger and trunk space and a quick charger option. Styling is subjective...albeit most probably prefer the look of the Focus.

A few more points....Availability is a little more sketchy. A few tidbits from a quick scan through the webpage...

fine print: **Reservations can only be made with a Certified EV dealer from the list of participating dealers. Extended delivery time is anticipated and cannot be guaranteed for any reservation

"Extended delivery time" is a bit concerning....and this is just for the initial NY/NJ/CA rollout areas.

Here is all I could find on non-rollout states

Mid-2012 states include:

Arizona, Colorado, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Virginia and Washington.
Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 221
Default Re: Ford Focus EV Starting Price $39,990

The list of "EV Certified Dealers" can be found here.

Note that the list only includes NY & CA at the moment.
jmueller065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10
Default Re: Ford Focus EV Starting Price $39,990

With the price set at $39,900, it is no longer the Focus EV vs. the Nissan LEAF.
It is now the Focus EV vs. Chevy Volt (at $39,200), or Focus EV vs. Tesla Model S (currently estimated to be ~$50,000).

I foresee a lot customers, those who are less familiar with battery powered cars and those with range anxiety issues, will take a harder look at the Volt.

I foresee a lot of customers, those who are more familiar with battery powered cars or those with range anxiety issues, will cough up the extra 10 G's for the Tesla Model S to get a bigger car with more trunk space and longer range.

-- Ardie
ardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 568
Default Re: Ford Focus EV Starting Price $39,990

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardie
With the price set at $39,900, it is no longer the Focus EV vs. the Nissan LEAF.
It is now the Focus EV vs. Chevy Volt (at $39,200), or Focus EV vs. Tesla Model S (currently estimated to be ~$50,000).

I foresee a lot customers, those who are less familiar with battery powered cars and those with range anxiety issues, will take a harder look at the Volt.

I foresee a lot of customers, those who are more familiar with battery powered cars or those with range anxiety issues, will cough up the extra 10 G's for the Tesla Model S to get a bigger car with more trunk space and longer range.

-- Ardie
Well the 2012 Model S is already sold out, so unless the open it back up, those who are looking will have to look at MY 2013.
Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 69
Default Re: Ford Focus EV Starting Price $39,990

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardie
With the price set at $39,900, it is no longer the Focus EV vs. the Nissan LEAF.
It is now the Focus EV vs. Chevy Volt (at $39,200), or Focus EV vs. Tesla Model S (currently estimated to be ~$50,000).
Model S base model (which won't be out for a couple of years) is $57.5K. You are comparing post tax-credit S with pre-tax credit FFE.
__________________
Nissan Leaf Lifetime Wall to Wheels : 3.9 m/kwh (EPA rating 2.9 m/kwh)
C-MaxEnergi.com : Ford C-Max Energi Plug-In Hybrid blog
evnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 12
Default Re: Ford Focus EV Starting Price $39,990

Awesome. The New Ford Focus is perfectly priced for FAILURE:

1. The car weighs several hundred pounds more than a Nissan Leaf, with a smaller battery pack; i.e., less usable range than products already on the market.

2. This American EV does not support Level 3 fast DC Charging. And no ETA to ever add this feature, has ever been mentioned from Ford 'Marketing'...

3. Cargo space more limited than competing vehicles (Leaf). No option to use a cargo adapter to stow items that would benefit from a long flat floor, like the Nissan Leaf.

4. Nissan already publicly committed to upgrade their onboard Level 2 charging hardware to compete with the beefier charger in the Ford Focus EV. Same with Thermal Battery Management. Upgraded 2013 Leafs negate any technology lead Ford claims for their vehicle.

5. Other than aesthetics; the Focus offers today's EV buyer substantially less-- for more money. And aesthetics typically comes at reduced Cd for an Electric Vehicle. In layman's terms: you can have less range, more attractively and for more money.

6. I think Ford could end up selling more L2 charging stations for Leafs, because they can simply plug into existing 220v sockets.

This is a nearly Perfect Recipe for labeling EV's as a market failure in the US. Thanks Ford. Guess you just wanna keep selling oil-sucking vehicles like GM.
Segsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 568
Default Re: Ford Focus EV Starting Price $39,990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segsby
Awesome. The New Ford Focus is perfectly priced for FAILURE:

1. The car weighs several hundred pounds more than a Nissan Leaf, with a smaller battery pack; i.e., less usable range than products already on the market.

2. This American EV does not support Level 3 fast DC Charging. And no ETA to ever add this feature, has ever been mentioned from Ford 'Marketing'...

3. Cargo space more limited than competing vehicles (Leaf). No option to use a cargo adapter to stow items that would benefit from a long flat floor, like the Nissan Leaf.

4. Nissan already publicly committed to upgrade their onboard Level 2 charging hardware to compete with the beefier charger in the Ford Focus EV. Same with Thermal Battery Management. Upgraded 2013 Leafs negate any technology lead Ford claims for their vehicle.

5. Other than aesthetics; the Focus offers today's EV buyer substantially less-- for more money. And aesthetics typically comes at reduced Cd for an Electric Vehicle. In layman's terms: you can have less range, more attractively and for more money.

6. I think Ford could end up selling more L2 charging stations for Leafs, because they can simply plug into existing 220v sockets.

This is a nearly Perfect Recipe for labeling EV's as a market failure in the US. Thanks Ford. Guess you just wanna keep selling oil-sucking vehicles like GM.

There is no doubt that Nissan will eliminate the competitve advantages of the Focus EV, and Ford will have to respond accordingly with the price.
Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 69
Default Re: Ford Focus EV Starting Price $39,990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segsby
Same with Thermal Battery Management.
Not true. Infact GM & Ford dearly hope to be able to get hold of a battery that doesn't need liquid cooling. If the battery chemistry allows for passive cooling & can still go through AZ/CA/TX summer without one single incidence - why would you want to go thr' the expense and complexity & wasted space of a liquid cooling system ? Do you really think GM & Ford would have build liquid cooling if LG's battery was good enough to just work well with passive cooling without safety issues ?
__________________
Nissan Leaf Lifetime Wall to Wheels : 3.9 m/kwh (EPA rating 2.9 m/kwh)
C-MaxEnergi.com : Ford C-Max Energi Plug-In Hybrid blog
evnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 568
Default Re: Ford Focus EV Starting Price $39,990

Quote:
Originally Posted by evnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segsby
Same with Thermal Battery Management.
Not true. Infact GM & Ford dearly hope to be able to get hold of a battery that doesn't need liquid cooling. If the battery chemistry allows for passive cooling & can still go through AZ/CA/TX summer without one single incidence - why would you want to go thr' the expense and complexity & wasted space of a liquid cooling system ? Do you really think GM & Ford would have build liquid cooling if LG's battery was good enough to just work well with passive cooling without safety issues ?

Making it through a summer without incident is not the only issue with air cooled, there is the issue of longevity of the battery pack. And since Nissan does NOT guarantee any range performance of its battery and GM IS guaranteeing 70% of original performance through year 8, it seems that maybe "the expense and complexity & wasted space of a liquid cooling system" is necessary for the time being.

Also GM's system cools the controller and the electric motor helping to maintain their efficiency.

But definitely a battery that REALLY can last with only air cooling would be ideal.
Charged Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford's Strategy Starting to Get Some Love Marc Lee Main Ford Focus Forum 1 04-27-2012 12:41 PM
Guess the price announcement date Hobbit Main Ford Focus Forum 24 11-03-2011 07:04 PM
Mkz hybrid same price as regular Mkz. Why not the focus too? miamisunray Main Ford Focus Forum 5 08-16-2011 01:22 PM
What the Leaf's Price Increase Means For the Focus EV Charged Up Main Ford Focus Forum 20 08-02-2011 08:58 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.